Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Several heating problems

vl-sl-commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL RB30E
Hi okay i own a 1986 SL VL Commodore and really the only this i have had done since i brought it 2 months ago is had extractors fitted but for some reason the engine is getting really hot the radiator coolant has been replaced and switched the tiny 12 inch thermo fan to a larger 16inch thermo fan but still it is getting hot any idea's on this matter the engine has only got 195,000k's on it and its a manual. (could it be the water pump is on its way out and how would i check that?)

Does anyone else manual gearbox get hot like hot enough to radiate heat into the car itself its not really that hot but i can feel heat coming from that area and im just wondering if there's very little heat sheilding on the stock commodores and if there is should this be somthing to be worried about of not,

My Brother being that impressed with my vl went and brought a 1988 exec and for some reason it starts fine when cold but if you run it for say 10 minutes then turn it off then try to start it again it does not start untill its cooled down again, could this be a problem with the vacuum modulater.

and lastly does anyone know where i could get my car repainted in nsw i dont want any custom painting or decals just want royal blue on top and silver on bottom

hoots

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq 5.0l
Used to have one of these, bloody good car got 350k out of mine before i had any trouble.

Overheating, thermostat (try taking the guts out), water pump check for flow with thermostat open or out and leaks around seal, got any oil or bubbles in the ratiator? (head or gasket), have a look at the plugs (rusty may mean water int combustion chamber... head)

hot box, yep mine was hot too.

ya brothers probably needs a crank angle sensor (in the distributor)

good luck,
hoots

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
exactly as HOOTS said.
when my water pump shat it self I took it of to find on the impeller shaft a huge clump of Rust had built up over the years and restricted water flow. HINT; if you end up changing the water pump do the timing belt at the same time then you will be all good for the next 100k.
and your bro would mos likely need a crank angle sensor as above.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
isnt the fan infront of the rad a booster for aircon when its engaged...
mine has never turned on so i ripped it out and now i get a good cooling of the system....
but now with intercooler in the way it runs hotter but nothing to be concerned about sits on 180 farenheight whats that approx 82-85 degrees Celcius???

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
yes now that you mentioned it nath he was talking about the air con thermo not the engine fan like I thought and the engine fan is approx 16inches .
so in that case OP is the clutch driven engine fan opperating correctly?

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
dont cut the guts out of the thermostat as previously stated thats dodgy they are there for a reason