Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shaking in steering wheel

Shane gc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden commodore vz
Hi team
I’m after some advice I have had a problem with steering wheel vibration for a while I recently replaced both front spring mounts and bearing replaced all Z bar bushes replaced control arm bushes all ball joints are new and out brand new tyres on and still have the shake especially at highway speeds my hand is literally shuddering and when I’m stopped and accelerate hard I can feel movement coming from the front end I have been over every thing and can’t find any issues wheel bearings are good al that is left is steering rack but it all looks good no leaks and it’s fine when driving around town feel a wee bit if vibration but I do not feel safe driving it on the motorway any ideas would be greatly appreciated
2005 holden vz sedan

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Warped rotors. Worn shock absorbers would be the most likely.

You’ve tightened up a whole lot of the front end and so now the next weakest point becomes obvious with no give in other components to compensate.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Warped rotors. Worn shock absorbers would be the most likely.

You’ve tightened up a whole lot of the front end and so now the next weakest point becomes obvious with no give in other components

Hi team
I’m after some advice I have had a problem with steering wheel vibration for a while I recently replaced both front spring mounts and bearing replaced all Z bar bushes replaced control arm bushes all ball joints are new and out brand new tyres on and still have the shake especially at highway speeds my hand is literally shuddering and when I’m stopped and accelerate hard I can feel movement coming from the front end I have been over every thing and can’t find any issues wheel bearings are good al that is left is steering rack but it all looks good no leaks and it’s fine when driving around town feel a wee bit if vibration but I do not feel safe driving it on the motorway any ideas would be greatly appreciated
2005 holden vz sedan
A good way to rule out the rotors is to break heavily from about 100kph, if it's warped rotors the steering wheel will start to shake and the brake pedal will pulsate as well. Good luck.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Have you gotten a full wheel alignment and balance done after replacing all those parts? You don’t mention having gotten one and if you haven’t that could cause the problem if the alignment is massively out of whack.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If it's shaking when the brakes aren't involved it's not going to be the rotors. New tyres don't mean your wheels aren't the issue, do you have stock rims or aftermarket?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
More worn shock absorbers that would give that wobble at speed.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
More worn shock absorbers that would give that wobble at speed.

99.9% of the time steering vibration at speed is wheel balance or mounting related. Other systems in the front end won't give you that lateral consistency like a spinning wheel can
Hopefully we'll find out next week.