Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shaking in steering wheel

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If the wheel alignment was far enough out to cause a shake, the tyres would be foobarred within 5,000K....After the first 50K, you'd see wear signs already. Another sign if the alignment is that far out to cause a wobble, is the car would be all over the road, like you've been on the grog all day.....And that's at 40 KPH....If you could get upto freeway speeds, that'd be a bloody miracle....

I wouldn't mind betting, the rims are the cause....Providing the tyres are round and have been balanced properly when they were fitted, the rims would be the cause.

Worn shocks...Seriously doubt it.....Shocks control the up and down movement of the suspension...When they are foobarred,, you feel the car bouncing all round the place.....You don't see steering wheels shake....

Brakes.....The steering wheel wobbles if the front rotors are foobarred when you apply pressure to them...You apply pressure when you put your foot on the brake, otherwise they just freewheel.

Rear rotors...If they are foobarred, you feel it through the brake pedal, when pressure is applied

CrackShotDave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Commodore SS Ute
I had the same thing.

Wheel alignment and balancing then replaced brake rotors. No more problems.

A great opportunity to upgrade to dba slotted disks and decent pads.

Shane gc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden commodore vz
Cheers for the advice guys I had the rear wheels moved to the front when I had new tires fitted last week I will take it in fora wheel alignment to rule that out no problems when braking no shuddering or shaking I have no wander whatsoever drives straight and true if I’m on the motorway with my hand on the wheel my hand is shaking like crazy could be worth taking it to peddars for a full check over

Shane gc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden commodore vz
If it's shaking when the brakes aren't involved it's not going to be the rotors. New tyres don't mean your wheels aren't the issue, do you have stock rims or aftermarket?
Stock rims I had the rear moved to the front to see what happens it’s just the same

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Pedders will advise $7500 worth of repairs are required.
Can confirm. That’s about what they quoted on the missus Ford Territory way back when.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Pedders when they see you drive up
rub-hands.gif

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Cheers for the advice guys I had the rear wheels moved to the front when I had new tires fitted last week I will take it in fora wheel alignment to rule that out no problems when braking no shuddering or shaking I have no wander whatsoever drives straight and true if I’m on the motorway with my hand on the wheel my hand is shaking like crazy could be worth taking it to peddars for a full check over

Sounds like they didn't balance the wheels when they moved them from the rear to the front.....

I assumed when you had new tyres fitted, they were put on the front....So go get your front wheels balanced

Save yourself the money and don't bother going getting an alignment to fix the problem because that ain't the cause and stuff going to pedders unless you have really deep pockets....Those people will rip you blind

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
had a ve with steering wheel shake between 90 and 100k/ph
absolutely no difference if braking or not, chased that for over a week
all front end was good
wheel balance twice, then swapped wheels with known good,
engine mounts were worn which cured small vibration at idle
finally new rotors and instant fix