Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shaking Steering

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
I see this problem alot, do you have any central lysing rings between your hub and wheels?

No I am not talking about spacers or anything else like that

*edit* if you in brisbane i'll have a look at it

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
no locating rings on the hub cause the are already a perfect fit on the centre hub
what have been the fixes to the other cases uve seen

Last edited:

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Try a different brand of rims. When i was a tyre fitter we had a lot of balance problems on some cars with speedy rims. Some cars are more sensitive to balance problems than others. If we had a car that was sensitive we would recommend the customer buy a more expensive brand of rim which would normally fix the problem. The theory at the time was that the cheaper rims were flexing at highway speeds causing the problem.

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
Tree cutter said:
we would recommend the customer buy a more expensive brand of rim which would normally fix the problem..

hahahaha, yeh thats called retail sales. lol, we have this item for cheaper which does the exact same thing, but i reccommend the dearer one.

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
the funny thing is the shake comes and goes. and its nothing to do with road surface changes or anything could be on the same road

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
How much weights are on the wheels?
there should be a stick on weight on the rim and a hit on weight on the inside on the rim, roughly with 18's there no be more than 100 grams total weight the the wheel itself.

Also when balancing I often check the lateral movement of the tyre itself.

Ring up Beaureapairs and ask them if they have a finger balancer (there a better wheel balancer machine). Don't go to a Bob Jane T Mart store because they always counter balance and it doesnt balance up correctly.

May I ask what tyre do you have? usually cheapo tyres will do this

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
the tyres are bf goodrich and they have been balanced with and without the fingers in and it doesnt make a difference

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
We have a alot of problems with bf goodrich tyres thats why we don't sell them. Awful tyres escpially with the 4wd tyres with the deep tread with massive tyre run out.

Personaly I would get rid of those tyres and get a well known brands like Dunlop, Good Year or Bridgestone.
If your short of money get some Nankangs NS2, Ive got them on my 19's awesome tyre of its price. Just have to take it a little easy in the wet tho

Put the tyres in the trading post at a 3rd of the price that you paid for and might get lucky.

Last edited:

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
yeh another tyre bloke that i know told me it would be the tyres. he said that if i got em off him he would recommend kuhmos. i wish i had of gone to him in the first place cause i know there a good place and know wat there doing. now im kicking myself i didnt. u seem very helpful do u work in a tyre joint

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
I work for Beaurepairs Rocklea in Brisbane