Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

shannons insurance

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I guess it depends how old the car is. For old stuff where that's a risk (e.g. rust), I can see it being a downer. For new stuff, its less of a problem.
Regardless of older or newer car, such clauses can still have teeth…

You understeer on a narrow road and luckily miss all other cars but hit the hire hydrant. Your fault, so $1k excess. Then the sods say your damaged tyre was 90% worn so you have to fork out another $200 for your tyre contribution and along with that your brake caliper was damaged and the pad on that side was 90% worn so you have to contribute $200 for that. But this isn’t a biggie at an extra $400 of unexpected cost…

In the same vein, Tesla’s are notoriously expensive to repair and one light looking rear ending cost $20k USD. Now imagine you were driving a Tesla model 3 and didn’t see the pole as you quickly reversed so effectively rear ended yourself and damaging the battery in the process… will this mob say the battery at 2 years old with a 10 year life is thus 20% worn out and hand you 1/5th of the bill for the battery replacement? How much is 1/5th of a Tesla battery as that can be a little more unexpected and painful.

Really, I’m not a fan of such PDS’s but as long as one understands the PDS implications and makes the decision to carry such a risk for a cheaper premium (sometimes considerably cheaper) then all the strength to them :cool:

As a disclaimer, in the distant past, I’ve had 3rd party fire and theft on the clunker I had since it wasn’t worth the cost of comp insurance. So I fully understand the part self insurance aspect :p

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
As a disclaimer, in the distant past, I’ve had 3rd party fire and theft on the clunker I had since it wasn’t worth the cost of comp insurance. So I fully understand the part self insurance aspect :p

I had a similar old clunker a long time ago too. It was comprehensively insured at that time but as I thought that the car itself was hardly worth much, I asked for a third-party fire and theft quote at renewal time. I don’t recall the exact dollar figures, but it roughly dropped the annual premium by about $20! I left it on comprehensive insurance.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had a similar old clunker a long time ago too. It was comprehensively insured at that time but as I thought that the car itself was hardly worth much, I asked for a third-party fire and theft quote at renewal time. I don’t recall the exact dollar figures, but it roughly dropped the annual premium by about $20! I left it on comprehensive insurance.

Yeah, with such a trivial premium drop, I'd also have left it as comp...

But way back when, if memory serves me correctly, and in my case, the 3rd party fire and theft premium was just under the hundred mark. This was about 1/4 the premium of comp insurance which was around 1/2 the value of my car (a reliable clunker)... :rolleyes: So i gambled I was a better driver than others on the road :cool: Luck proved me correct as I didn't have to make any claims...

Then I bought a much nicer and more expensive car and I wasn't willing to take the hit should I be at fault in a crash (or risk the other at fault prick didn't have any insurance)... :rolleyes: But that's the game we play :cool:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
But that's the game we play :cool:

Its literally gambling.
How much do you want to wager your car is worth (cover value)
How much do you want to wager your chance of claiming this year (excess)

Terry P got it right
An inn-sewer-ants-poly-sea is a corrupted form of insurance policy. They are thought by most Ankh-Morporkians to be a sort of bet on the odds. The only known salesman of inn-sewer-ants-polly-seas was Twoflower, who sold one to Broadman, the owner of the Broken Drum, who proceeded to burn the pub down to try and claim the insurance. This started the Great Fire of Ankh-Morpork.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its literally gambling.
Yes it is but it’s a calculated gamble and in one sense, with insurance, you’re always playing the odds…

It’s choosing what level of excess you want pay should you have to make a claim… whether you want glass cover or hire car with your policy… It’s like buying market value comp insurance and hoping the company will pay out the correct market value at the time of the loss….

It’s always been a game many play, some without realising it ;)

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
No matter which insurance company you go with, the most important thing when it comes to having a nice car, is to ALWAYS have an agreed value policy.

Not only that, take the time to review it each year at renewal time. Particularly in the current market where prices are inflated.

Yes, it’s costs a bit more, but you pay for the certainty of what you’ll receive in the event of theft or a total loss after an accident.

It’s simply a must-have in my book.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Yes it is but it’s a calculated gamble and in one sense, with insurance, you’re always playing the odds…

It’s choosing what level of excess you want pay should you have to make a claim… whether you want glass cover or hire car with your policy… It’s like buying market value comp insurance and hoping the company will pay out the correct market value at the time of the loss….

It’s always been a game many play, some without realising it ;)

I think my main problem is I always feel like I'm being taken for a ride.

House insurance, I never feel like they are out to get me. Car insurance (and Mediterranean car hire places) always are!

ol smokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
'82 VH wagon, '97 VT wagon, now '17 SS VF2 wagon
Asked for a quote from Shannons a couple years ago and got interrogated about a few minor speeding fines I had - you know the ones, a couple K over the limit. They wanted the exact date and code of each fine. Who the hell remembers that ****? Went with RACV instead.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Asked for a quote from Shannons a couple years ago and got interrogated about a few minor speeding fines I had - you know the ones, a couple K over the limit.
I'm surprised they didn't know .......... they have spies.
They unearthed my speeding fine from the lone Tasmanian speed camera in Launceston (maybe Devonport) from a long way back when.
I had completely forgotten about it and had to query them about the details .............. they have spies.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
have had several no fault claims on 3 different cars and Shannons have been great on each one. About my only complaint is valuations are currently broken so you need to ring them and say "oi, my car isn't worth that put it up".

Choice of repairer is also worth it's weight.