Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

shannons insurance

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wasn't insinuating you were going to do the wrong thing, so sorry if you got that impression....

If Shannons have approved the replacement, great....So is it you were enquiring as to what place actually deals with Shannons for you to proceed with the replacement?
No, no, wasn't thinking that at all. Just adding some clarification in case anyone was wondering.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
There is an expression that says something like “only insure what you can’t afford to lose“ and to not insure those things you can afford to cover yourself.

Insurance companies have overheads so in the end the insurance premiums not only cover the payouts, but also the cost of running the company and it’s profit. So, for example, I’m sure that it is possible to buy insurance to cover one’s tyres for accidental damage, but I’d highly doubt that it would be worthwhile buying such a policy as it’d probably be cheaper to simply buy a new tyre if needed instead. I suspect windscreen replacement might fall in to the same category.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I spent some time on the phone with Greg at Shannon’s today. Actually talking to a real person that is local and happy to share his love of Holdens (he owns some collectibles himself). Knows the Holdens and their history better than anyone I’ve talked with in insurance before. Had an excellent conversation about Holden and GM with him.

Now have moved all cars to Shannon’s and their depth of cover for the new car exceeds that of the RAC. New for old has no cap, so if our Santa Fe Highlander costs $100k to replace in years to come, they get us a new Santa Fe Highlander for $100k.

I also feel a heap of low key anxiety lifted with the Crewman properly insured beyond what I expected and all the things I’ve improved on it.

Also bundling the three cars together in one payment will be good.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There is an expression that says something like “only insure what you can’t afford to lose“ and to not insure those things you can afford to cover yourself.

Insurance companies have overheads so in the end the insurance premiums not only cover the payouts, but also the cost of running the company and it’s profit. So, for example, I’m sure that it is possible to buy insurance to cover one’s tyres for accidental damage, but I’d highly doubt that it would be worthwhile buying such a policy as it’d probably be cheaper to simply buy a new tyre if needed instead. I suspect windscreen replacement might fall in to the same category.
Possibly, but from my experience with insurance claims the cost tends to go up based on risk. A minor claim has no bearing on the renewal price. The only time I have had an decent increase in my premium was when I had two at fault accidents in one year. I have had glass claims with NRMA as did the wife with CGU and the price only went up slightly and that was due to indexation. A windscreen replacement doesn't place you in the higher risk category.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I doubt the insurer pays retail on a windscreen. I also found out Shannon's replace the seal as well, which your average $350 replacement doesn't include I don't think. Shannon's are still making big profits, they don't need to increase premiums for a piece of glass. It's not like every person they insure makes a glass claim every 12 months.

Some VE windscreens are in the $1000s to have replaced, so it's definitely worth putting in a claim, especially if you get to O'Brien's and they tell you, you actually have the $3k windscreen not the $300 one, which you thought,...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I doubt the insurer pays retail on a windscreen. I also found out Shannon's replace the seal as well, which your average $350 replacement doesn't include I don't think. Shannon's are still making big profits, they don't need to increase premiums for a piece of glass. It's not like every person they insure makes a glass claim every 12 months.

Some VE windscreens are in the $1000s to have replaced, so it's definitely worth putting in a claim, especially if you get to O'Brien's and they tell you, you actually have the $3k windscreen not the $300 one, which you thought,...
Yes. Made sure ours had the sound insulated windscreen from Calais V and Caprice.

Smiley Smiles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
I was with Shannons for about 8yrs.
Everything was ok until an accident.

End of the day we make our own choices. I wouldn't p on them if they were on fire. Unfortunately for me and others we didn't have as many negative reviews to help us weigh our options.

Granted, Insurance has always been fickle.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

End of the day we make our own choices. I wouldn't p on them if they were on fire. Unfortunately for me and others we didn't have as many negative reviews to help us weigh our options.

What occurred with you for such a bad experience? Might help others make a decision whether they go with them or not

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

They paid me out on my old ute, $7.5k total loss for a VR V6. No complaints from me. I never bothered with anyone else when it came time to insure the VE ute. Three mins up the road and it was a call to Shannons to cover me. There would be only one or two other insurance Co's who agree to insure the replacement cost of a VE ute. NRMA max agreed will be $17k. I'm currently at $21k agreed few more months and I will be upping it to at least $26k. NRMA wouldn't even come close, neither would 95% of other insurers, as they all use Redbook, and will add $1500-$2000 depending on the value. Redbook is $15k for a VE SS Ute, try and find one under $25k, and you'll struggle.

Smiley Smiles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
Hi vc commodore,

Agreed.

After usual checks in Mirrors and "over the shoulders" I began reversing and still checked while reversing for anything that might pop up from behind and anything new to my right or left side. To my right was in theory "the danger point" with a lot less reaction time. To my left was a "Y" kinda point however, experienced, I knew around 60% percent of Vehicles exceed the limit (awhile after someone else did a study and then was about 68%).

I noticed a vehicle coming at speed so I stopped.
Collision Occurred.
Driver hard braked immediately upon sound of impact.

By the time said vehicle stopped a total of 18 metres approximately of rubber was left on the roadway.

Driver backed it up and had another go.

I was completely furious lol....

Regos was exchanged, I gave my licence over but didn't receive. Driver even stated was uninsured and not meant to be driving that car regardless. I also knew several cameras in area. These details I passed onto Shannon's. Shannons utterly refused to view cameras nor listen to observers testimony and waited a lengthy time to check Tyre marks (rubber from locked brakes) assessment.

Please note: I've had to alter/omit some details. Sorry, it's actually necessary and keeps repeated bad things to a minimum and it's quite difficult physically being able to defend myself at the moment as my knee (work related) is abit stuffed.
I was also unofficial carer for both my parents and even though I was told by a couple of lawyers I had a case, due to stress my dad gave two options
Pack my bags and leave
Or forget about it.

For my Mum and loveable A-Hole dad I let it go however, it's just another cancer I've had to deal with including financial.

That actually was above all else one of the reason I sold my Ute along with being told later after accident was a bomb anyway should sell blah blah. Just too much hurt. Fella I sold it to made a hefty profit not long after I sold it. Was a sale/trade.
Another kick after selling/trading was 98% of people flip flopped and instead of telling me to sell called me an idiot for doing so.
I just wanted to ease the mental painful memories and I just don't know.