Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shaving the engine bay. First time.

streetholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Hey guys, finally gettin around to doing my project after so long. Tho this is my first one im hopeless.

Iv gotten everything fixed out of the engine bay, im going to cut the battery holder out too.

What do you guys do with the trany lines, fuel lines, brake lines, wireing loom and so on?

Do you guys just remove it all and replace it a later date?

Also should i take the steering rack out and so on? leave the k frame in and leave it jacked?

Sorry about all the questions, but this would be my first engine bay.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I pulled pretty much everything outta mine. Only thing left was the fuel line, and the rear brake line, but I undone a few of the tabs holding it down, and pulled it away from the panel and held it there with a string while I worked on it and it was painted. Also, the car was sitting on a gadget that clamps to the seal panels and has wheels on it, so we could still move it around.

MENTL6_SERGES_PAINT_04.jpg

streetholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
sweet thanks, im planing to drop a 304 in and no sure what holes i should keep, could i fill them in and drill new holes at a later date and still get a roadworthy?

Also on the drives side wheel arch.. why is there a dent in there, i dont see a point in it, just curious to if anyone knows what its for?

Also is it leagal for me to remove the plates, you know the ones with the body numbers and what not? i can just drill them all off and put them back on at a later date?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
i beleive its been suggested it was clearance for aircon on old v8's not sure how true that is but i'd personally knock it out.
Best way to take dents out is with heat and hammer and dolly work from the outside in and your way around it

streetholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Thanks mate, still a little bit more to remove before i get started on any panel work. Its a shame i cant work on it at night, bloody neighbors lol.

Also to Danny8, What happened to your wiring loom hole lol?

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
sweet thanks, im planing to drop a 304 in and no sure what holes i should keep, could i fill them in and drill new holes at a later date and still get a roadworthy?

Also on the drives side wheel arch.. why is there a dent in there, i dont see a point in it, just curious to if anyone knows what its for?

Also is it leagal for me to remove the plates, you know the ones with the body numbers and what not? i can just drill them all off and put them back on at a later date?

Wat holes to fill depends on wat ur gonna use. Obviously you'll need to keep the hole for the steering column and brake booster, and maybe one for wiring, but the rest can prolly get welded up. If ur keeping the heaters you'll still need the whole for the heaterbox, and if it's a manual you'll need a whole for the clutch cable.

My engine bay above was gonna be for a manual 173.....but now going an auto 304. Not having heaters, and now don't need a clutch cable, but I think I'll just fill the holes in with some rubber on the other side or sumfin. Will worry about that when the engine bay is all done with the 5.0L in it.

About the complience plates, you have to have them. I'm pretty sure they gotta be somewhere within the engine bay.

streetholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Yea the plates are in there, just wondering if i can remove them for the paint and then rivet them back in after. and dont you need a heater at least for road worth or is that just the de-mister?

Heres a few pics of it currently.
l_3f86a57e529a4f16af4cdac16ba7c3a5.jpg

l_88da93ef0c044b01ab8a9cae8b6924a5.jpg

l_701f64832efc47c89115af83603e6e35.jpg

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
looks like you have your work cut out for ya ;)

i drilled off my plates and stuck them to the fire wall. looks my tidier IMO. if you really wanna make a job for yourself, try cutting the fusebox mount off and running all your fuses inside the car. i hate that stupid box and am gonna do that mod when i finally lose my mind completely.

*was this car on ebay recently?

streetholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Yea, it was at that stage i was moving out with my gf, but as young Females tend to do, she ran off with another guy and i got to keep my car :D

i was going to put the fuse box in the car, under the glove box or in it. the compliance plates im not to sure, but ill work it out, just got a problem witht he heater box now lol.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Don't worry mate you'll get there. My engine bay looked nearly as bad as urs. I think if u use a high pressure washer u should get most of that oil off. Mine had a huge oil leak on the passenger side....can't remember how it got there but there was oil all along the chassis rail, down under the headlight, under the gaurd, was a bloody mess. Just do it bit by bit and you'll get there.

Here's a pic of mine not long after we started, here u can also see wat I mean about chopping as much of the apron off as possible, then u can easilly drill out the pop rivets holding the remaining sections on.

MENTL6_SERGES_04.jpg

power_steering_leak_01.jpg