Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shaving the engine bay. First time.

streetholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
sorry about all the questions, but iv searched for about an hour now and could find where its fastened. I bet its right in front of my face, i dont have much light, still working on getting some flood lights for the garage. I cant figure out how to remove the heater / aircon unit, you know the big black bastard under the dash. I need to remove it because theres 4 barbs in total coming off it into the engine bay. Iv attached some pics to better help describe what im on about.

Well i found the nuts holding it up but by fark they look impossible to get to, im going to have to buy a 1/4 socket set

l_592564923ffa470c983202b6d6accdf6.jpg

l_2c9dbb46dec8499895996350395db5eb.jpg

Last edited:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Have u got a service manual? I'm not 100% sure about how to get to them, so I ended up looking in the service manual, it didn't show much tho, I think I ended up breaking the bloody thing to get it out lol.

The 1/4" socket sets can come in handy, only just bought one the other day :thumbsup:

micky69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ba XR6 5 speed/ VN Calais 308 twin turbo
thank god you have created this thread mate, i've just acquired a vk calais 5L and about to start on the engine bay! i've been searching the net looking at many different builds to get a good idea,,,,
i'm going twin turbo on mine since i've never done a v8 turbo yet,,, hopefully your engine bay comes out tops i'll keep you posted on anything i find that may help lol

streetholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Hey, no worries lol, VKs are the best car in my opinion, im up to cutting the battery plate out, now my step dad said drill the spot welds, well 3 drill holes later, didnt even release that little section, so now im stuck grinding it away. Ill update more photos when i get the final stuff out of the way.

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
G'day, good on ya for having a go. Gotta to love the vk's. To clean up those rust spots, theres a sand paper disc for the 100mm grinders, they WILL get rid of those nasty spots. And for the black heater box you will need little arms, cause theres a couple bolts that are between boxs and the flywheel, you probaly need a 10mm long socket like a spark plug socket. I hope is will help mate. Cheers Jason.

tivoom

pimpin pizza wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Wagon
hi been I've been keeping an eye on this thread what or your plans for paint act can't wait to see it finished as im looking for a vk wagon as project car so keep up the good work

MEANVY

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Omega
l_592564923ffa470c983202b6d6accdf6.jpg

white ox, you done time huh? :lock:

haha. just kidding, make sure you post up pics when it's all done.
would love to see how it turns out

streetholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
I cant wait, as i dont have a job its going to be awile till i get it done. Still need welder, bog, spray gun, air hose, sanding discs and primer.. then i have to buy the paint. The color is going is a Clubsport red. But untill i get those items im stuck. Not to mention is always raining here and theres a **** load of moister in the air i dont want to leave it sitting in bar metal.

micky69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ba XR6 5 speed/ VN Calais 308 twin turbo
no job hey!!,, when i was 18 i had no job, i bought a vk for $100 it had crows feet all through the paint!! i took every single panal back to bare metal. 1 panel per day and once the panal was completly bare i used pressure pack primer cans to keep the panels primed,,, until i was ready to completely rub it all down and prime again,, long story short is having no job is good as you have more time the those that work but also no job means waitin for that fortnightly cheque to get some gear lol... i'm in the opposite boat now mate i have the money for all the gear but i don't have any time to actually do any of it lol i love vk's and i'm so happy i've just got another one :)