Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shed height needed for a hoist

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by losh1971, Oct 30, 2019.

1. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Hoping to build a new shed next year. At the moment I am saving up. Plan is to hopefully go 12 x 12 with a 20deg pitch. With 3.6m walls my peak will be 5.78m high. Hoping to work out the most cost effective and if I can trim my walls, because I don't need this much height I will. Plan is to sit the hoist in the middle bay to get max height. I need to be able to lift a 4WD if I ever get another.

Anyone know what height roughly a 4WD wagon would be to the top of its roof with a 6' person standing underneath?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  2. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    standard height wagons are usually 1.8-2m or thereabouts.

losh1971 likes this.
  3. maginoodle

maginoodle Member

Members Ride:
    vy series2 ss crewman
    My clear floor hoist is 3.8 high and I have lifted to max height a land cruiser

4. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Ok so I guess about 17" off that for wheel height. So that probably makes the body about 1.6m, give or take. Plus I guess need to allow 2m to accommodate blokes of all heights. With 3.6m walls I reckon I might be ok with a standard 11deg roof pitch.

5. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Your hoist will dictate how high you can lift a 4x4. The higher, the less stable. Clear floor hoists generally have a safety above the vehicle. You'll be able to lift a sedan to the full height provided the roof doesn't touch the shutoff beam above.

6. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Ok think I understand what Maginoodle was referring to. Some hoists have that horizontal beam that holds the two posts at the top. That means I need at least 3.8m height at each post to fit the hoist in. What distance apart is each post?

7. keith reed

keith reed Active Member

Members Ride:
    1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
    What spacing are your trusses? Would you fit a vehicle between them?

8. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    Man you must have very poor hoists as I've never had an issue lifting 4x4's on any two post hoist.

9. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    Go to bishamon and look at their specs. they will give you the dimensions. All other hoist compaines will too get my hint?

10. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    I don't remember saying I ever had an issue. Are you familiar with physics and leverage? Hoist design will dictate what you're able to do with it - height and capacity wise. Some are more user friendly than others too.

11. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    I've had 3.5t at the top on the sled stops so full ram extension and jacked the rear diff up to install springs so far the weight is off the rear legs of the hoist.
    When I had my work shop I installed a powerex with a 1.2m x 1.2m x 3.5m deep blocks tied into a 100mm slab and lifted a blokes landcruiser up full I think that weighed near 4t and it handled it fine. I used the chem set anchors with the glass tube nothing was going to pull that hoist out hahaha.

12. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I don't think they use trusses just rafters with braces and perluns. Thinking to be safe I might look at a 17deg pitch. Working out figures and 12m x 12m may be too expensive anyway, around $40k - $45k. Might have to scale back and go 12m x 9m. I'm fast becoming shocked with the cost of building now compared to 5-6 years ago. My whole shed 7.5m x 7.5m x 3m all inclusive with pit, concrete the lot was around $15k. 12 x 9 slab and piers alone, will be around $11-12k. Gotta love record low interest rates, you save on interest but in the meantime building materials have jumped 60-70% same with labour costs. I remember when concrete was $40m2 now it's $80m2.

13. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    The new floor area is over 2.5 times your old shed.....length 1.6x, & height 1.3x.

Work out all of the surface areas, allowing for larger beams etc and see how much the costs differ on a per m2 basis.

VS_Pete and losh1971 like this.
  14. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    The larger kit has gone up by about $4-$5k more than what my last kit cost me and this is a bigger shed. It's the labour to build and the concrete that has really gone up a lot in 5-6 years. My last shed I helped build and I mixed and poured the crete with a few mates for probably 1000 - 1200 bucks. This time I can't get the same builder as he is over three hours away. My mates that helped last time live 2hrs away and I'd be kidding myself if I thought they be keen for another 16hr mixing session over a couple of days or maybe 30hrs with the larger slab, lol. Nup it will be all trucked in this time.
    Starts to make me realise I built my last house fucken cheap doing a lot of it myself. :)

15. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Big chunk of free / cheap labour isn't comparing apples with apples.

losh1971 likes this.
  16. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    No it's not but I had concrete poured at $35-$40 a m2 a while back and now it's $85 a m2. I used to pay $50 an hour labour and now the rate is over $80 for a Town builder. I told my bro who is a retired builder I was looking at $30k for a shed and he didn't believe me, reckon that was way too much. But I think a 12 x 12 will be closer to $40k or more. I have the full quote coming tomorrow but online estimates are looking more than what I originally anticipated. I'm getting average prices to build a 4 bed house at $350k. Where as I had a 4 bed house for under $200 built by Jennings but that was 12 years ago and that was considered a fairly expensive build at the time. Mind you bank interest rates were probably over 10%.

It certainly opens your eyes when you're faced with the real cost of building at today's prices. Have to have a think about what I want to do. I regret not going bigger with my existing shed and I may regret not going 12 x 12 if I opt for the economical option.
    At least I have figured out wall height and pitch which I really wanted to have an answer tonight, so thanks for that boys. Now that I have wall height and pitch I can get the bloke to quote on a 12 x 9 as well, which might do me anyway. Anyway probably not the best time of night to be overthinking monetary figures 10 mins before I want to go to bed.....:(:(

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  17. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Dude if I was allowed to build 12x12 shed with a hoist I'd eat bake beans for a year to do it...I'd even live in the mofo while waiting/saving for house build if I had to lol.

Go biggest shed with with carport & awning you're allowed...live the dream!!!!

Council won't let me build anything decent in my area...been wanting big shed with hoist for years

VS_Pete and losh1971 like this.
  18. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    GTR it will be beans for 5 years, just got the quote $44,230. My neighbour was right allow $50k with council permits.

19. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Yeah it's always steep financially & major headaches dealing with councils but damn it'd be nice to blow coin on a big cool shed & hoist just to be selfish after paying off a house.

I'd been saving for 2 years straight + wasted 1 year arguing with local council before giving up on the dream shed.

20. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Its the Crete and erection that stings, $14,400 for crete and $8k to build it. The kits haven't gone up that much but concrete is now $85 a m2. Used to be $35-$40. I think last quote I got to build my 7.5 x 7.5 shed was around $4k that was allowing 3.5hrs travel each day round trip. Travel for this one is 30mins each way. A 12 x 12 doesn't take twice as long to build, yeah but tradie rates have gone through the roof over the last 4-5 years.
    Severe lack of qualified and experienced builders across Tas. Massive building boom too doesn't help. Major construction projects they get immigrants on 457 visas as can't find enough local tradies. Big Gov push to put on apprentices but building Co's frown on that don't have time to train people who may not last anyway when they find out it's hard work.