Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shed height needed for a hoist

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by losh1971, Oct 30, 2019.

1. stick3

stick3 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
    wish i had a hoist when i did the rear bushes on the ute i could not get the left lower arm to line up so i had to buy a second hand lower arm and fit it so i could drive it to mechanics work shop he used a big pair of stilsons to twist the axle to fit the bloody lower arm fitted with the new bushes

it was easy for him standing up and getting the leverage than me laying on my back but he was still stuffed the sweat was pissing out of him cost me 350 bucks 3 and 1/2 hours work that also included the sway bar link bushes

2. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Not that I've ever used a bit, but after dropping the subframe out of a falcon last weekend and having done this job previously on the floor requiring much more time and effort. I would be going a hoist every day of the week by comparison. If you're struggling with height a base plate hoist rather than a clean floor can be had with a height of around 2.7m with the extra height being in the pitch of your roof.

3. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    I'm quite surprised pits aren't allowed anymore....I was under the impression, that providing the pit was concreted and had a suitable cover over it, they would approve it. What is the reason behind not being allowed to have a pit?

4. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Confined space and risk of dying from carbon monoxied.

5. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

Makes sense.....Sounds like there have been some idiots that have done the wrong thing and the general sensible public have to suffer.....So thanks

losh1971 likes this.
  6. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    There are plenty of safety concerns to be taken into account rather than just that of being sensible. Pit design needs to take into account flammable and asphyxiating fumes/vapors. As well as drainage for spilled fluids, rainwater etc.

7. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I made an error building my current pit. I mistakenly thought it was best to over lap the plastic and have a join in the bottom. Now in heavy rain i get seepage and if it rains enough i can get 2' of water in the bottom.
    My next one i will lay the plastic in the bottom and go up as far as it will reach. Then i will wrap the second peice around the top.

8. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    ^ Pits not allowed? maybe you should have called it a lap pool rather than a service pit. You know, for compliancing reasons :p

woteva and losh1971 like this.
  9. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    I could never use a pit - just seems far too dangerous to me. I didn’t have access to a hoist or pit for years and got by just fine.

Clear floor hoist would be the only way to go. Depending on height there are different models you can choose.

If you’re going to spend the money though, do it once and do it right. No point compromising then regretting it later.

10. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    As an apprentice remember a few workshops with pits,the flash ones had lights/shelves in side while some had heavy duty covers to enclose them...all smelt like burnt transmission fluid :confused:

Pits had some limitations but if you're going to work on cars often 2 post all the way....hate laying on ground to work underneath cars even moreso as get older.One day one dayyyyyyyyy....

Fu Manchu and losh1971 like this.
  11. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I think I will put lights in my next pit. It is one of those annoying things when you're underneath and it's dark. The old hand held is ok but trying to jamb it in a spot underneath somewhere isn't always the best. From my teens, lots of workshops had pits and still do. They probably get rarely used these days though. When I was young hoists were air operated, hydraulic too and not fancy two poster's like they are now.

12. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    I used to work at a place with a pit but it was about 3.5m x 7m and had steel rails for the car to roll onto with a DIY centre jack that flipped over on me once.

We have a 4 post hoist with dual hydralic centre jacks and I prefer the 2 post hoists.
    I would just go 2 post. Full boost has a good video on 2 posters I'll see if I can find the link.

Found it.

13. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

This makes sense, but again common sense plays a role in this, when designing and using a pit....However I also understand councils have to take into consideration the idiots that don't have this common sense. Unfortunately, the idiots do make it extremely difficult for the common sense people

14. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

I have used both...Hoists at work and pits at mates places.....The pits, I have used when doing transmission work and engine removals/installations.....I never had any concerns with pits when doing this work

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    losh1971 likes this.
  15. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

I know of a big truck dealership, that was built 3 years ago (or there abouts)....There is 20 service bays, all pit equipped.....

I believe they all have lights inbuilt within the pit area....The rest of the details, I am unsure of, but I was lead to believe, they also had an intercom style system, inbuilt inside the pit area, which the bosses could listen in on the workers conversations.

losh1971 likes this.
  16. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I have an idea that truck pits also have a ventilation system, eg extractor fans.

17. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    I think this is a cheaper way you can have lights in the pit.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.endeavourtools.com.au/bluetooth-beanie-light

Skylarking and losh1971 like this.
  18. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    I've been in a few truck pits with work. Not a fan at all even with the newer ones being quite well equipped, but with trucks being much harder to lift of the ground they still have their place. With a car though, I don't see any disadvantage to a hoist as long as you can fit it in height wise.

19. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

Quite possible....I'd have to check with my mate, over it.....I hope this is all giving you food for thought

20. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Have some progress. The bank has given us provisional approval to buy the block. I now need to pay for evaluations on the house and the vacant block. Should be fine as the house has gone up in value enough and i owe next to nothing on it. I have found out i need to alter the shed to meet regs. I have to lower the overall height to no more than five metres. This means chopping the walls down to 3.5m as that is maximum allowed wall height. I also have to drop the roof pitch to a 17.5deg, as the 22deg will be about 300mm too high. It should just fit a hoist still if i go down that line. I am still going to need to pay extra money for council as the square metreage is too big. Max is 80m2 but i want a 10.5m x 9m, which is over 90m2. Only issue is it may still not pass as the size exceeds the allowed and it will come down to the council board, they have to talk it over with the rest of the counselors. Other issue is the minimum distances from rear boundary is 5m and side boundary 3m. So that will be another fee, because for each discretionary change needed they charge a fee. So could charge up to another $500 just to pass at the discretion of the counselors. But having it so far from boundaries is not feasible.