Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shed height needed for a hoist

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by losh1971, Oct 30, 2019.

1. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    It's a weird one with boundaries, relating to sheds.....My next door neighbour has a 2 car shed, where the side wall actually forms the fence.....It complies with council regulations....Go figure

VS_Pete and losh1971 like this.
  2. the_boozer

the_boozer no more VK

Members Ride:
    Prado
    Would i be correct in my thinking that a hoist would be cheaper to install than a pit by the time it complied ? Everything in the pit would need to be explosion proof lights ,power points ,supply and exhaust fans.
    The pits at a truck mob I went to years ago had supply and exhaust fans along with a sump pump all lights ,power points,switches, were explosion proof.

3. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    If i go pit the council won't be knowing about it. I can build a pit for around 1000 bucks. A hoist will be 4 or 5x that, by the time i have a separate circuit added, extra crete and reo plus the kit itself. It's a bit up in the air at the moment but what ever i choose i need to make sure i prepare to have both. That way i am ready to choose my options when the time comes.

4. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    When pouring your slab, put some extra reo and thicker pads where the hoist will be bolted in, and some conduit for the wiring, just incase you go down that path in future. You don't want the high load point from a hoist cracking your new thing slab floor. The guy doing the engineering for the shed should be able to sort the pad dimensions out.

losh1971 likes this.
  5. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Slug powered VZ, a VE Calais & your mum.
    If you drop in conduit, use long bends rather than 90° bends. Much easier to feed wiring through.

6. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Some more progress. Bank has valued my current property and it should be no problem. Bank manager indicated that the house i built will be worth plenty enough to use as security on a block. She seemed to think there won't be any issues with finance.
    I also spoke to the shed supplier who has said he can hold the price for another 2 weeks. Hoping that I find out by then if i have passed my trial as supervisor. I have been holding off placing the deposit on the shed until I know. Although I will probably go ahead with the build even if i do go back to my old job. Just getting it erected will be set back due to lack of funds. If i have to i will look at a personal loan but I hate giving banks interest, so want to avoid plan B if i can.
    I have decided to get the shed built on piers as this will be way cheaper initially, probably by $11k. Plus this gives me time to figure out pit or hoist or maybe both. I'd like to have both. The thing i like about the pit, is i can drive in and quickly jump underneath and carry out an inspection. Probably looking at $6-$7k to get power on the shed, so a pit may be an interim thing anyway, still undecided.

VS_Pete likes this.
  7. Lex

Lex Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 Auto Wagon
    Where are you building?

8. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Have a contract on a block 30mins out of Launceston. Probably going to eventually sell the house i built and get another one built on the new block much closer to work.
    Actually toying with the idea of getting the wife to be an owner builder and doing a lot of the fit out myself. But not sure if i want to do that a second time. Things are in the infancy. Trying to figure out the most cost effective way to go. But also need to be realistic and think about the time it will take if i take on another build.

9. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    The satisfaction of and cost savings and control of building / fitout yourself is great but yeah it does blow out time wise.

Under the monaro today = I'm just going I soo want a hoist.
    A few months back I got and payed for an engineer to draw up plans = how can I get rid of some trusses.
    Not the ideal choice/route but = the saying beggars can't be choosers.
    Not perfect = would need a height limiter switch on it , especially for the monaro = more for storage height ( would be a 4 post , so also storage hoist).
    Figure it'd cost about 5k with me doing everything = so probably 7k to 8 k really plus about 5.5 k for hoist.
    So nothing's happened at least I have the engineering and plans.

VS_Pete and losh1971 like this.
  10. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I paid the deposit on the shed today. I will pay the balance in the new year. Time to madly save. Been told i get 21 days notice of a price increase. Hopefully no increase for at least 6 months. I need to not only save for the shed kit but council and drafting fees will be around $6k, plus conrete piers and errection. I really want to be ready to build once i order the kit as it can only sit in a pack for 4-6 weeks, unless its in dry storage.

11. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    Here's some food for thought, now column hoists are avaliable for trucks I bet you'll see the phase out of pits throughout the industry.

12. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I'm fairly sure i will have both. Considering it could be 2 -3 years or more before I have power, I'd like to have a way to get under my bus without lying on my back.

13. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    Just remember if you ever have to fill it in it will crack your slab.

14. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Slabs crack anyway. Soon put in a control joint. Why would it crack the slab anyway, by filling in the pit? I have a pit now and no issues at all. I won't be planning on filling it in. No reason i would need to unless council inspected it and they only do two inspections. One for the footings and one once its built.

15. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    The expansion rates are different so it cracks the slab. When I had my workshop there was a filled in pit and cracks all around it.
    A properly built slab won't crack as the cracks will appear in the joints.
    My dad has been working in expansion joint repair for 30 years. We did a massive carpark when I was 18 and used a company called miska expansion joints so I've done the big stuff and we did a heap of repairs on water tanks and many other repairs.
    I guess it's like the opposite of levaning a pool empty (my dad repairs those too) it will crack you add a big mass of concrete to a slab it will crack it.

16. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Ummmmm you be mad to fill the pit with 1000 bucks worth of concrete. I have no intention of ever filling it in. When it comes time to sell the new owner can choose to if they want.

17. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    I was renting. I never filled it.

18. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

There has been 4 post hoists for trucks available for decades......A place I worked at 15 years ago bought one so I could do alignments on trucks and buses. It was also used for services on them too, as there was a bus joint down the road and Streets ice cream factory around the estate too, that had delivery trucks at the depot...It had air over hydraulic jacks in the centre so they could be jacked up for any sort of work required on the suspensions/brakes

19. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    Yea there's one at my work but a 4 post is not a column hoist.

20. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    The above is a bit irrelevant to me. I work on cars every now and then, less than once a week. A pit would be just fine for many years to come. My mates use my current pit and they will miss it when i sell, unless they get friendly with the buyer.
    I want a hoist yes and have planned the shed around being able to install one down the track. But I'd say realistically a hoist is at least 4-5 years away. I seriously doubt i will have the coin for a hoist for a long while.
    Owning a pit now and the ease of working on cars because of it, means I'm not going back to lying on the ground for 5 years while I save for a hoist. **** that, I'm at the age where I want to make life less complicated not go back to doing everything the hard way.

afstruct likes this.