Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shed height needed for a hoist

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
wish i had a hoist when i did the rear bushes on the ute i could not get the left lower arm to line up so i had to buy a second hand lower arm and fit it so i could drive it to mechanics work shop he used a big pair of stilsons to twist the axle to fit the bloody lower arm fitted with the new bushes

it was easy for him standing up and getting the leverage than me laying on my back but he was still stuffed the sweat was pissing out of him cost me 350 bucks 3 and 1/2 hours work that also included the sway bar link bushes

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Not that I've ever used a bit, but after dropping the subframe out of a falcon last weekend and having done this job previously on the floor requiring much more time and effort. I would be going a hoist every day of the week by comparison. If you're struggling with height a base plate hoist rather than a clean floor can be had with a height of around 2.7m with the extra height being in the pitch of your roof.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm quite surprised pits aren't allowed anymore....I was under the impression, that providing the pit was concreted and had a suitable cover over it, they would approve it. What is the reason behind not being allowed to have a pit?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Confined space and risk of dying from carbon monoxied.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Confined space and risk of dying from carbon monoxied.

Makes sense.....Sounds like there have been some idiots that have done the wrong thing and the general sensible public have to suffer.....So thanks

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Makes sense.....Sounds like there have been some idiots that have done the wrong thing and the general sensible public have to suffer.....So thanks
There are plenty of safety concerns to be taken into account rather than just that of being sensible. Pit design needs to take into account flammable and asphyxiating fumes/vapors. As well as drainage for spilled fluids, rainwater etc.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There are plenty of safety concerns to be taken into account rather than just that of being sensible. Pit design needs to take into account flammable and asphyxiating fumes/vapors. As well as drainage for spilled fluids, rainwater etc.
I made an error building my current pit. I mistakenly thought it was best to over lap the plastic and have a join in the bottom. Now in heavy rain i get seepage and if it rains enough i can get 2' of water in the bottom.
My next one i will lay the plastic in the bottom and go up as far as it will reach. Then i will wrap the second peice around the top.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Pits not allowed? maybe you should have called it a lap pool rather than a service pit. You know, for compliancing reasons :p

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I could never use a pit - just seems far too dangerous to me. I didn’t have access to a hoist or pit for years and got by just fine.

Clear floor hoist would be the only way to go. Depending on height there are different models you can choose.

If you’re going to spend the money though, do it once and do it right. No point compromising then regretting it later.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
As an apprentice remember a few workshops with pits,the flash ones had lights/shelves in side while some had heavy duty covers to enclose them...all smelt like burnt transmission fluid :confused:

Pits had some limitations but if you're going to work on cars often 2 post all the way....hate laying on ground to work underneath cars even moreso as get older.One day one dayyyyyyyyy....