Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shed height needed for a hoist

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
MaxJax

I like the big pin that gets slotted through as an extra safety feature.

Last edited:

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
Another big cost in sheds I found was electrical work. Bigger the shed the more lights and power points needed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A lot of wiring i can run myself and mounting power points and lights same, then have the electrician connect things up.
Slight problem is i no longer have an account with the electrical wholesalers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Considering the option of going a pit again. If I go with pit the savings are about $7 - $8k. Having a pit means i can go a smaller shed, with less wall height and a lower pitch roof.
A pit would mean i could go 10.5m x 9m x 3m, with a standard 11deg roof. Definitely something I need to consider.
A hoist would mean 12m x 9m x 3.6m with a minimum 17deg roof.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
If given the option I would have gone for a pit not only for the money saved but I would have felt safer. Perhaps hoists are bullet prove but it would always been on my mind that it could fail. I think you have made a good choice.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Pits are definately the best and cheapest options.....Hoists are in constant need of maintenance to ensure they don't fail....A pit, you dig the hole, concrete it, place a plate over it and forget about it, until you need to use it

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I've been using hoists for years and good hoists need bugger all maitence. A pit is more of a saftey concern due to carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide build up in the pit.

Have you thought about doing a shed with an outdoor extension to house the hoist? So all your tools stay locked up and just the hoist is outdoors. This is how alot of workshops are set up. One I used to work at has 4 hoists inside then one out the back under cover.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The carbon monoxide is only really an issue if you have the car running while you're in the pit. I have only done it once in my current shed and never again. I knew I needed to get out when I started feeling faint or I wouldn't be here now writing this.
I have been doing some more sums and working out ways I can save. I am thinking I'd still like a pit, possibly but I still want to have the option of a hoist. Therefore I am still thinking to build the shed wall and roof pitch to accommodate one down the track, rather than wish I'd allowed for it and then have the hassle of making the shed taller.
I've actually just got back from time up the country house and had a quote in my inbox $1600 off the internet price, which I wasn't expecting. He gave me some elevations too which means I can go a 9 x 12 and still be able to install a hoist at some point. Probably look at just doing piers and pour a slab later. I can pour the slab in three sections if I need too and if do it in three sections I could probably do it myself with some help. I won't mix my own again though too much mucking around.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've been using hoists for years and good hoists need bugger all maitence. A pit is more of a saftey concern due to carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide build up in the pit.

Every 10 years, if the hoist has cables, they MUST be replaced...A snapped cable can have wonderful consequences

I have seen hoists, where the locking latch, constantly catches, once released, causing the ramp to lean to one side or corner when lowering.

Seen cable hoists that fail to lock on the upper most locking point...

I have seen hydraulic hoists, where the they fail to lift, or lower...(Got one at work that is 2 years old and has been out of action for 3 months, due to these sorts of failures).

Been using hoists for a couple of decades and seen these sorts of issues

A pit.....No maintenance and more suited to a home application situation

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Every 10 years, if the hoist has cables, they MUST be replaced...A snapped cable can have wonderful consequences

I have seen hoists, where the locking latch, constantly catches, once released, causing the ramp to lean to one side or corner when lowering.

Seen cable hoists that fail to lock on the upper most locking point...

I have seen hydraulic hoists, where the they fail to lift, or lower...(Got one at work that is 2 years old and has been out of action for 3 months, due to these sorts of failures).

Been using hoists for a couple of decades and seen these sorts of issues

A pit.....No maintenance and more suited to a home application situation
Yes hoists need maitence obviously! but good hoists will work for 20 years and need one set of cables. Plus pits are restrictive.