Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

shell extra optimax

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
J_D said:
IMO I wouldnt waste money buying a premium fuel that has ethanol added to it.
Ethanol is tax free for the petrol companies so optimax extreme should be cheaper than standard optimax which, as far as I know doesnt contain ethanol. I use E10 which is 95 RON and is 2 cents per ltr cheaper than standard unleaded and I am getting 9lt/100km on 60% highway 40% city. Im happy with that.

What is this E10...where do you get it?

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
ruredi said:
What is this E10...where do you get it?

E10 means Ethanol 10%, if optimax extreme has ethanol (dont like the idea of ethanol, these cars have not been tested in the long run for affects), then ill continue using Shell Unleaded 95 Octane, perfect for my car which is pretty stocks with minimal mods.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Well Holden says its OK to use E10 in commodores so thats good enough for me.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I doubt very much that E10 would be approved if there was even the slightest hint that it may cause damage to a car. And there would be very strict criteria and testing to make sure of it. If octane levels in petrol (like shell's) are close to 100%, how can you have 10% ethanol?

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Ethanol is not good for polymer parts in the engine (such as plastics and rubbers), this may take sometime to affect.

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
ethanol is more explosive theen then methanol i think there for burning the fuel faster and getin more power

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
WILD VR CLUBBY said:
ethanol is more explosive theen then methanol i think there for burning the fuel faster and getin more power

I highly doubt that...

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
in short ethanol = bad...unless your car is specialy built to be tolarent to it. it is a very corisive material and in high quantites ruins cars.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
96vscommodore said:
in short ethanol = bad...unless your car is specialy built to be tolarent to it. it is a very corisive material and in high quantites ruins cars.

Exactly, the engine must be designed for ethanol, and 10-13 yrs ago they didnt really think about ethanol.