Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shift kit

ecotec38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 Commodore 3.8
I was just wondering if anyone knows the difference between an electronic shift kit and a hydraulic one, i did i search but couldn't find anything
Cheers:thumbsup:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
quite simply, an electronic one plugs into you pcm and tells it to raise the line pressure for the trans...which results in firmer shifts. a mechanical shift kit actually replaces the valve body (or modifies it) and a couple of other parts such as the boost valve to increase pressure inside the trans for firmer shifts.

Bubbaj247

VTR247
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT ACCLAIM II
I got an electronic Shift Kit, And it works great, for how easy it is to connect to the ecu, and works when u want it too. Its on a switch so u can turn it on and off when u want. I brought my for around $70. I know someone with a hydraulic one and he doesnt see any differents apart from the price.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Wouldnt the electronic ones put more pressure and strain on the transmission? Seeing as the hydraulic ones actually replace parts with ones designed to do the job rather than just pushing the stock parts harder and forcing them to submit to more pressure than they were originally dealing with which is what the electronic ones do?

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
MMM I would like to know more information on the electronic ones, and if they are worth it

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Wouldnt the electronic ones put more pressure and strain on the transmission? Seeing as the hydraulic ones actually replace parts with ones designed to do the job rather than just pushing the stock parts harder and forcing them to submit to more pressure than they were originally dealing with which is what the electronic ones do?

The hydraulic ones also put more strain on certain parts. It is just two different ways to get similar results.
Eg the shift trim valve in a hydraulic set up has a different spring pressure which will negate its effect. This will give a faster harder shift between gears. While this will remove some of the slip from the clutches & saving on wear the extra shock is transferred to the engaging clutch & gears.

ecotec38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 Commodore 3.8
Can you get a hydralic shift kit that can be turned on and off

ecotec38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 Commodore 3.8
Can u get an electronic shift kit and still be able to replace the parts that need to be strengthed if so how much would it cost