Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

shift kits and towing

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
Been thinking about this a bit , reading posts about rebuilds and the stuff that goes into them... My auto will soon be up for a build ( nothing wrong with it , but last 20,000km have been towing a car trailer around , loaded of course ) , so i want/need to know if having a shift kit whilst using the car to tow would be a bad thing , should it be stock ( with better bands ) or have the "stage 1" kit put through it?.. The ute doesnt have a 6HDD box , its got another one ( will post the numbers tomorrow ) which may be a stronger box??????

so... pros and cons of towing with a shift kit please ( i know noting about auto's , only that i need a bigger stall in my racecar!!! )

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
shift kits are supposed to be good for towing because it changes faster and harder so reducing slip on the clutches that would otherwise be caused by the extra load from the trailer. Stage 2 seems to be the most popular.
Thats my opinion anyway.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
shift kits are supposed to be good for towing because it changes faster and harder so reducing slip on the clutches that would otherwise be caused by the extra load from the trailer. Stage 2 seems to be the most popular.
Thats my opinion anyway.
And reduce heat and on the same issue make sure you have or get a trans cooler!!!
Shift kits are good for towing.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
yep, good for towing. also get the biggest cooler you can find for it.

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
reduces heat but get a trans cooler. i dont quite understand...........

my box with billet, bear drum and moore runs cooler than the stock box with no cooler. i think information is just being passed on here.

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
already have the cooler attached.. stock holden tow pack cooler , its a decent size..

Cheers for the answers.. looks like when it blows i'll get it kitted out.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
from factory the box is setup to give nice smooth shifts, this requires slipping the band and clutch packs. this creates heat (friction) by fitting a shift kit and billet servo the box changes gear quicker and there is more pressure on the servo so intern there is more pressure applied on the band which prevents slippage which really means there is also less heat generated under normal driving conditions.

i believe there is also a billet sevo that can be put in for 4th gear which does exactly the same as the 2nd gear servo. more pressure so there is no slippage. this would be great for towing when your crusing along in OD