Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shift Kits? Which one?

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
The Transgo kit is more costly because it has more stuff in it. The B&M kit has a few basic fixes but the Transgo kit is more of a balanced overall upgrade that is fully adjustable as to how hard or soft you want stuff happening.

The instructions are excellent and should be strictly adhered to for trans longevity and performance.

This lesson cost me a few grand lol

Well i think the B&M would be better for me because i do not know a great amount about auto transmissions. I think for me at this stage the transgo would be a bit complicated for me to install. I also don't want to be messing around with how hard of soft my transmission changes, i want to install it and leave it lol.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Would a stage 2 shift kit be suitable for daily driving? I was thinking of the B&M shift kit with a corvette servo because the transgo one seems too expensive and I don't want to play around with the shifts, I just want to install and have firmer shifts immediately without any tinkering. Like MG's VH Wag said, I just want to install it and leave it.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Would a stage 2 shift kit be suitable for daily driving? I was thinking of the B&M shift kit with a corvette servo because the transgo one seems too expensive and I don't want to play around with the shifts, I just want to install and have firmer shifts immediately without any tinkering. Like MG's VH Wag said, I just want to install it and leave it.

Thats right buddy i just want it for daily driving and to make my transmission last a bit longer. Once its in i don't want to touch it. My plan is the B&M shift kit with corvette servo because the servo also helps to make the shifts better.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the transgo has all the goodies for better lubrication supply and allsorts of other things not just shifts ide go transgo and corvete servo

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
You guys who just want "a firmer shift" could totally just have the line pressure increased without needing to install any shift kit.
there's electronic items that will increase line pressure and they're under $100 and easy enough to install.
or you can also change the line pressure in the tune which is more expensive obviously, but then you've also go a better tune and the engine will respond much better.

there's no dramas using a shift kitted auto for a daily driver, the beauty of the electronically controlled transmission is that even with a shift kit installed the shift is varied with different conditions.
so using light throttle in traffic isn't going to snap into 2nd all hectic and jerky. it's only once the throttle starts to really open that the shifts will increase in strength.
i'd be recommending a larger aftermarket trans cooler with any shift kit as well. although there is a factory one installed on most model commodores, its nothing fancy and won't be efficient enough. a cooler trans operates better and lasts long so it's win, win.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
You guys who just want "a firmer shift" could totally just have the line pressure increased without needing to install any shift kit.
there's electronic items that will increase line pressure and they're under $100 and easy enough to install.
or you can also change the line pressure in the tune which is more expensive obviously, but then you've also go a better tune and the engine will respond much better.

there's no dramas using a shift kitted auto for a daily driver, the beauty of the electronically controlled transmission is that even with a shift kit installed the shift is varied with different conditions.
so using light throttle in traffic isn't going to snap into 2nd all hectic and jerky. it's only once the throttle starts to really open that the shifts will increase in strength.
i'd be recommending a larger aftermarket trans cooler with any shift kit as well. although there is a factory one installed on most model commodores, its nothing fancy and won't be efficient enough. a cooler trans operates better and lasts long so it's win, win.

Yeah i just want firmer shifts so i just got a B&M shift improver kit, corvette servo and a large trans cooler.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
How much that set you back and where you get them from if you don't mind me asking? When you get them installed let us know if it's worth it.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
How much that set you back and where you get them from if you don't mind me asking? When you get them installed let us know if it's worth it.

Bought everything off ebay cause it was the cheapest and there was none where i live so it was also the easiest. I got a large Hayden trans cooler with all fittings and hoses for $58.00 including registered post, Corvette servo for $48.00 including express post and the B&M shift improver kit for $120.00 including express post so got everything for $225.

I will let you know how it goes, i should get the items in a few days then i'll have to put them in on a weekend.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Yeah you can fit if without a shift kit. It likes a bit of increased line pressure because it takes abit more fluid pressure to actuate/ release it but still should be good. Get the trans cooler on first, that will probably give you a better all round improvement. Cooler clutches grab better