Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shift Kits? Which one?

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
How'd you go with it mate. Get it all installed yet? Been waiting to hear what it feels like in comparison to the stock box.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Well i havn't got around to installing it yet. I might have a go at installing the cooler today. But with the shift improver kit i was reading the instructions and they don't make sense to me, in the kit you get these two big black pad things that have all different holes and cut outs and you have to drill some holes and stuff in the pads and put in a little spacer in one of the holes but the pads that are in the picture on the instructions aren't the same as the ones that came in the kit. So i am confused as to which hole i need to drill bigger.

The instructions just aren't very good for me, they may be better for someone who has had some experience with gearboxes etc. I went to a transmission place and they said they would fit it for around $100 but they also recomended that i get my box rebuilt before fitting the kit because my auto has done so many km's, so i am sort of in limbo to wether or not i should fit the kit or just hold onto it and when i upgrade my car hopefully soon i'll have a shift kit for it. I really don't want to spend another $100 to get it installed then have to spend a **** load more cause my box couldn't handle it and stuffed itself lol.

But then again your gearbox is probably alot stronger and would probably handle it especially if it hasn't done many km's.

Hope this helps.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Well i havn't got around to installing it yet. I might have a go at installing the cooler today. But with the shift improver kit i was reading the instructions and they don't make sense to me, in the kit you get these two big black pad things that have all different holes and cut outs and you have to drill some holes and stuff in the pads and put in a little spacer in one of the holes but the pads that are in the picture on the instructions aren't the same as the ones that came in the kit. So i am confused as to which hole i need to drill bigger.

The instructions just aren't very good for me, they may be better for someone who has had some experience with gearboxes etc. I went to a transmission place and they said they would fit it for around $100 but they also recomended that i get my box rebuilt before fitting the kit because my auto has done so many km's, so i am sort of in limbo to wether or not i should fit the kit or just hold onto it and when i upgrade my car hopefully soon i'll have a shift kit for it. I really don't want to spend another $100 to get it installed then have to spend a **** load more cause my box couldn't handle it and stuffed itself lol.

But then again your gearbox is probably alot stronger and would probably handle it especially if it hasn't done many km's.

Hope this helps.

Cut you rlosses n get rid of the B&M kit IMO. The transgo has so many more good parts and clearer instructions than the B&M kit.

By the way $100 for a shift kit install is a great price if it includes the service.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Cut you rlosses n get rid of the B&M kit IMO. The transgo has so many more good parts and clearer instructions than the B&M kit.

By the way $100 for a shift kit install is a great price if it includes the service.

But the transgo would be worse for my transmission cause it would put more pressure on the worne components?

Before i got the B&M kit i asked if they sold them and the guy just said there about $100 and about that again to install it, i say it wouldn't include a service.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Nah I think it's better because it's a balanced kit. The shift pmprover just ups the lines pressure and some apply passage sizes. The transgo allows fluid to the right places at the right times in a more orderly fashion.

If you're not sure on the shift kit at least get the cooler on there. That's essential for any auto IMO

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
that transgo kit looks half descent.
where can you buy the vetter servoes from?.
looking at doing this stage 2 transgo kit and the vetter servoes or what ever else you boys do to improve shifts and manualise it slightly.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
that transgo kit looks half descent.
where can you buy the vetter servoes from?.
looking at doing this stage 2 transgo kit and the vetter servoes or what ever else you boys do to improve shifts and manualise it slightly.

You can get the corvette servo's off ebay for around $50 posted.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec