Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shift Light for auto

VXIIwagdf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Wagon dual fuel
Some time ago asked about a "shift light" for my auto VX II Lumina. Have now fitted one.

My prob was that I'm used to a manual, I would change back gears manually (for roundabout or something) then forget to stick it back in "D" since it is so quiet. Hate the extra wear and tear and waste of fuel doing 80 in Melb. in "3".

Have fitted a shift light which flashes automatically if I leave the shift lever in 1,2,3. I've mounted the light on top of the steering column. Total cost about $8

If anyone's interested I can post some pics etc

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Sounds good.....please post pic's

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
VXIIwagdf said:
Some time ago asked about a "shift light" for my auto VX II Lumina. Have now fitted one.

My prob was that I'm used to a manual, I would change back gears manually (for roundabout or something) then forget to stick it back in "D" since it is so quiet. Hate the extra wear and tear and waste of fuel doing 80 in Melb. in "3".

Have fitted a shift light which flashes automatically if I leave the shift lever in 1,2,3. I've mounted the light on top of the steering column. Total cost about $8

If anyone's interested I can post some pics etc
WTF? Why not just leave it in drive?

Don't say it's because you're used to changing gears, because I've driven a manual for a while and I know drivers who only drive manuals and they leave the selector alone in an auto..

Driving an auto like an auto and a manual like a manual solves the problems..

The only time I shift like a manual is on the freeway to overtake, even then it's just marginally quicker to put my foot down for a downshift..

But yeah, WTF's the point in shifting to 2nd or 3rd gear approaching a roundabout when the car does it for you???

glassjowned

"Banana Hammock"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec.
I have this problem a fair bit also, but driving maybe 30-40kms at full speed at a time. I use 3rd for going up and down this hilly section, as you would in a manual.

I also change down when there's a change in speed limit, just because I prefer not to brake, and if you drive a manual you'd know that taking your foot off the accellerator will slow the car down better than doing this in an auto.

Now I know it may be a shock to some of you, but how people wish to drive their cars is their choice.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
glassjowned said:
I have this problem a fair bit also, but driving maybe 30-40kms at full speed at a time. I use 3rd for going up and down this hilly section, as you would in a manual.

I also change down when there's a change in speed limit, just because I prefer not to brake, and if you drive a manual you'd know that taking your foot off the accellerator will slow the car down better than doing this in an auto.

Now I know it may be a shock to some of you, but how people wish to drive their cars is their choice.

LOL.. Hills I understand, but wtf with the change in speed limit? You prefer not to brake, so you leave it in 3? That would only work if you're going at a higher speed and it's basically engine braking.. Like instead of using your brakes to slow you down whilst you're in 4th gear in a manual, you shift to 3rd gear and let the revs and speed come down..

It would work in an auto if you're doing about 90 and you're in Overdrive. Shifting to 3rd will slow you down, in the same way it would with a manual.. Driving along at 55km/h in 3rd gear (in an auto) won't prevent you from braking, unless you then put in 2nd gear to slow down..

I fail to see how while you're driving around in 3rd gear (at decent revs), you don't have to brake, leaving it in 3..

And it's not a shock to me at all.. If you wanna drive your car in a way that is absolutely pointless, go for it.. It might be questioned if you post it up on a public forum though..

And just to clarify, I'm not questioning engine braking.. I'm questioning doing it at roundabouts..

glassjowned

"Banana Hammock"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec.
Yeah, I'm only talking about speed limit changes that are 100>80 and 80>60/50.

Eg: Passing through a town on my way to work I will drop it back to 3rd and back in to drive when I have slowed down enough, but I might just forget to put it back into drive and will end up driving the rest of the trip in 3rd.

So, only to slow down a large amount, I don't do it in city driving, most of my driving is country.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
glassjowned said:
Yeah, I'm only talking about speed limit changes that are 100>80 and 80>60/50.

Eg: Passing through a town on my way to work I will drop it back to 3rd and back in to drive when I have slowed down enough, but I might just forget to put it back into drive and will end up driving the rest of the trip in 3rd.

So, only to slow down a large amount, I don't do it in city driving, most of my driving is country.
I often do it myself, like if i'm going down a long hill in a 60 zone, rather than braking every 10 seconds, then before I realize it I'm on the freeway doing 110 in 3rd because I forgot to put it back into drive.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
i agree with shounak i cant see the point either...... tho i dont see how u should b 4gettin ur in 3rd wen ur kinda still thinkin ur drivin a manual?? wouldnt u feel u need 2 change gears??? wouldnt u notice the revs r alot higher or do u drive with ya stereo full blast lol????