Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Shift to Park" while in Park, won't turn off?

Kiwi1338

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vf
I had the same problem with my commodore VR ( Holden caprice)2013.
After a while I decided to have go with it.
I was surprised to see how easy it was and my mechanic was asking $690 to fix it .
Take off the console and everything else until you see the shifter. You notice a very small switch in top right of the shifter, that is the one .
It has to be pushed by a pin which is in middle of the handle (horizontally).
Put the gear on D and push the pin from left to right, it has to be in middle. And secure it I choose to cut 2 bits of shrink tube one cm each put them in each side and heat them .
Good luck.

Boonie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Calais
Hey guys, I understand this thread is a few years older however I’ve just had this problem and it’s super easy to fix.

Step 1: take the leather cover and gear shift knob off.
There are 4clips, 2 on each side.

Step 2: put shifter into drive

Step 3: there is a metal pin which you’ll see which moves left and right when you push the shifter down...use screwdriver to move it to the right about 3mm.

And that’s it..you don’t need to take the middle console out at all.

double check it works then put the gear knob back on
If it doesn’t work push the pin a little further right.

TonyMCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais 6
amazing! Thanks mate! I took it took a mechanic and ran scan and they said it could be a battery problem. $55 for that advice. Put a new battery in , which I prob didnt need to as the original battery of the 2013 model was still going strong.

After reading this just moved the metal pin and wallah. Amazing! Here’s a photo of the pin that needs to be moved!
AFABC3F7-291C-4BF1-B129-41F5837A86EC.jpeg

Hey guys, I understand this thread is a few years older however I’ve just had this problem and it’s super easy to fix.

Step 1: take the leather cover and gear shift knob off.
There are 4clips, 2 on each side.

Step 2: put shifter into drive

Step 3: there is a metal pin which you’ll see which moves left and right when you push the shifter down...use screwdriver to move it to the right about 3mm.

And that’s it..you don’t need to take the middle console out at all.

double check it works then put the gear knob back on
If it doesn’t work push the pin a little further right.

Julie Harper

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rs Holden Commodore
Hey everyone,
Had issue I cant seam to find that any other Commodore has had yet.
Over the past few months, when I turn the car off while its in park, it pops up on the screen saying "SHIFT TO PARK" even though its in park.
For a while I just had to nudge the gear selector forward a bit like it had to hit a sensor, now thats gotten harder and harder to do to the point where its almost impossible to do and hence I cant lock the car and if I leave it, it runs the battery flat.
Anyone know of what it is? If feel like its a sensor that needs to be tripped that separate to the selector as it shows im in Park on the screen as well. Its making the car impossible to live with.
I had my rs zb commodore do the same thing. The holden dealer put a new battrey in it and that didnt work. So they said it came up on their lap top as the gear shift being the problem. I have just picked it up after 3 weeks from the dealer as they were waiting for the the new gear shift part to be delivered. I am glad i am still under warranty. They assure me its fixed so i will see how i go. The holden dealer service dept said there was a guy that came in with the same problem. It might be more common than we think.

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
amazing! Thanks mate! I took it took a mechanic and ran scan and they said it could be a battery problem. $55 for that advice. Put a new battery in , which I prob didnt need to as the original battery of the 2013 model was still going strong.

After reading this just moved the metal pin and wallah. Amazing! Here’s a photo of the pin that needs to be moved!View attachment 224142
Thank you Tony, it was an easy fix following your instructions, I couldn't get the knob and cover off, it didn't take long to pull out consul to do it. many thanks again.