Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Shift to Park" while in Park, won't turn off?

Shaun V860

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Hey everyone,
Had issue I cant seam to find that any other Commodore has had yet.
Over the past few months, when I turn the car off while its in park, it pops up on the screen saying "SHIFT TO PARK" even though its in park.
For a while I just had to nudge the gear selector forward a bit like it had to hit a sensor, now thats gotten harder and harder to do to the point where its almost impossible to do and hence I cant lock the car and if I leave it, it runs the battery flat.
Anyone know of what it is? If feel like its a sensor that needs to be tripped that separate to the selector as it shows im in Park on the screen as well. Its making the car impossible to live with.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
There may be some switches in the shifter assembly that require adjustment.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Interesting problem o_O

Out of curiosity, i had a look through the pdf of the incomplete copy of the VF workshop manual that i have. It's a rather convoluted document if i've ever seen one, no doubt better to read via the web.

There was a description of the "Auto Transmission Shift Lock" which is a feature that stops you shifting out of Park unless you have your foot on the brake. It's under Transmission - Shift lock section but it's not relevant to your issue.

There was also a description for "Range Selector Lever Link Adjustment" which allows some fiddling/adjustment from under the vehicle. This can be found under Transmission - Automatic Transmission - Repair Instructions On Vehicle - Range Selector Level Link Adjustment. It may provide some adjustment and get things working for you. I'm only providing this for your info so fiddle at your own risk.

There was also a description of the "Internal Mode Swicth" which tells the system what position the internal gear lever is in. This can be found in section Transmisson - Automatic Transmission - Description and Operation - Electronic Component Description. Sadly this component is internal to the auto so not easily accessible unless you're really keen at dropping the pan and unscewing transmission internal bits. I wouldn't do this on such a newish car.

If you are really keen to have a go, then have a look at the "Manual Shift Shaft Position Switch Replacement" section which sadly is rather vague. You can find this in section Transmission - Repair Instructions On Vehicle - Manual Shift Shaft Position Switch replacement. Again fiddle at your own risk if you are so inclined.

So there seems to be no sensors or swicthes around the gear lever inside the cabin as such :oops:

I'd suggest that if your car is still under manufacturers warranty, go to a Holden dealer of your choice and have them sort it out for you. It's the best choice really.

If your car is out or manufacturers warranty, by some marging but not by years, i'd also go to a Holden dealer and get them to look at it under your statutory warranty. If the deealer has issues with the ACL statutory warranty, then get them to call HCC in your presence. This should be sorted reletively quickly as Holden has made an undertaking to the ACCC not to be dushbags and for them and their dealers to meet their Australian Consumer Law obligations.

Really, such issues shouldn't occur in such a young car unless a component was faulty in manufacture and thus failed prematurely (assuming you havent been in a car crash which may have contributed to the failure in which case talk to your insurance company).

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

Glenn76

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Hey everyone,
Over the past few months, when I turn the car off while its in park, it pops up on the screen saying "SHIFT TO PARK" even though its in park.
For a while I just had to nudge the gear selector forward a bit like it had to hit a sensor, now thats gotten harder and harder to do to the point where its almost impossible to do and hence I cant lock the car and if I leave it, it runs the battery flat.
Anyone know of what it is? If feel like its a sensor that needs to be tripped that separate to the selector as it shows im in Park on the screen as well. Its making the car impossible to live with.
Hey everyone,

Hi Shaun
Did you find out the problem with this shift to park as I seem to be having this problem myself on my Calais

kirkc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6
Hi Shaun
Did you find out the problem with this shift to park as I seem to be having this problem myself on my Calais

I have a VF2 SV6 and had the same problem. Started intermittently and progressively became worse. Drove me f... mad because the computer knew it was in park because it said so on the screen but that same screen kept telling me to put in in park. Car was under warranty but there was no way I was letting them near it.

It's an easy fix. There's a micro switch in the shifter assembly which is just clipped in. Everything is plastic and the switch had become misaligned. I bent the plastic that held the switch in the opposite direction, bent the metal bit on the switch and then glued the switch into position (all of that will be obvious when you are looking at it). I took the console out but I can't recall if that was essential (but I think it was). I had to google removal of the shifter knob and the console but it all turned out to be fairly simple.

While I had the console out I put a dual USB socket in the rear of the console for the kids. I also had a good look at the sports shift switches in the shifter and came to the conclusion that it would be very simple to piggy back off the wires for DIY paddle shift. Not sure about wiring thru the steering wheel though. Wireless stick-on paddle switches would be the go if anyone knows of any.

Last edited:

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
look up J-Led customs on FB for VF paddle shift kit ($700)

kirkc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6
look up J-Led customs on FB for VF paddle shift kit ($700)

Yes I'm familiar with that thank you but $700 is an awful lot of money for 2 simple switches (I realise that it isn't actually just 2 switches but my original point was that it would be very simple to piggyback off the switches in the shifter assembly. If you were so inclined (which I'm not), you could stick 2 RF remote handsets behind the steering wheel with double sided tape and use the relays in the receivers to open & close the the up and down shift circuits. Probably less than $50 all-up...and very ghetto :p . But some nice paddle style RF remote switches...

Jayssvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VEii SSV Z
Yes I'm familiar with that thank you but $700 is an awful lot of money for 2 simple switches (I realise that it isn't actually just 2 switches but my original point was that it would be very simple to piggyback off the switches in the shifter assembly. If you were so inclined (which I'm not), you could stick 2 RF remote handsets behind the steering wheel with double sided tape and use the relays in the receivers to open & close the the up and down shift circuits. Probably less than $50 all-up...and very ghetto :p . But some nice paddle style RF remote switches...

Hi there, I own J-LED Customs, I can tell you its a lot more than involved than you have put it.
The reason the cost is so high is that unfortunately you have to swap over the steering wheel to have the factory paddles.
Also with my kit you have added features not available even on the factory paddles. There are other kits one the market that only work with the shifter in sports mode that cost a LOT more as well.

kirkc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6
Hi there, I own J-LED Customs, I can tell you its a lot more than involved than you have put it.
The reason the cost is so high is that unfortunately you have to swap over the steering wheel to have the factory paddles.
Also with my kit you have added features not available even on the factory paddles. There are other kits one the market that only work with the shifter in sports mode that cost a LOT more as well.
I did say my idea was "very ghetto"...but it would work.