Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shift Work

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by immortality, Feb 20, 2019.

1. immortality

immortality Administrator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    So who here is a shift worker?

Its 2.30am here and I'm almost 3/4 of the way through my last shift for the week battling the sleep and boredom gremlins.

Currently blasting music to keep those gremlins at bay and Pearl Jam - Immortality has just finished. Now it's time for some Temple of the Dog.

2. immortality

Members Ride:
    Yippee its 4am and over the worst stretch. Now rocking Metallica .

VS_Pete and rucxy like this.
  3. rossimo

rossimo Member

Members Ride:
    vt s2 wagon
    I just finished a week of nights yesterday, time to try and get the head/sleep patterns back to normal now.

4. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Not anymore.
    I did about a year of rotating shifts, day, arvo, dogwatch and double. Boring as, because I was not doing anything apart from looking at stuff and filling in paperwork.
    The job after that was also 24 hour shift work, and as the junior, bottom of the heap, for 18 months shift times were anytime, provided a minimum of 8 hours off, and not knowing your commitments more than 3 days ahead. But, didn’t get bored as I had to be awake and alert the whole time.

Does wonders for your sleep patterns, health, family and social life.

5. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I worked night shift from 14 years until i was 41. I had to stop as it destroyed a marriage and made me quite ill in the end. Although working night shift then going to work all day and crashing at 6pm didn't help either.

6. Drewie

Drewie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS (Original owner).
    I worked permanent afternoon/night shift for 30 odd years, 5pm start but depending on work load could still be there 8 am the next morning.
    Retired many years ago and the body clock is still giving trouble, come midnight I am as bright as a button and can't get to sleep until 2 to 3 am.

7. keith reed

keith reed Member

Members Ride:
    1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
    I worked shift work on a hydro scheme at Twizel in the South Island during the 70's and also on one of the tunnels in Brisbane.
    To get the shifts to finish on the weekend at Twizel the day shift finished at 4 pm Friday and restarted at midnight. We only got an 8
    hour break when we were supposed to get a 9. They had to pay us for the 8 hours we were off. I had only been there for a few
    months and got back about $600. Most of the others had been there for 7 years and got back thousands. Not a bad job but a
    not a nice place to live. Saw minus 13 there during a night shift, was told a minus 18 had been recorded there.
    The Brisbane airport link was a very ordinary job, 11 hour shifts rotating fortnightly. Not much to get excited about there.

8. immortality

Members Ride:
    This is the stage I am at now. 41, body clock is up the **** and it takes a couple of weeks off work before I get back to an almost normal sleeping pattern but the mental aspect is the toughest bit, the job does not challenge me at all, the biggest headache is the bloody politics and dealing with breakdowns due to management issues.

9. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    3 shifts 12yrs.
    After 10yrs an old work mate said Pete (night shift 11PM/7AM)
    When you got home at 3PM you don`t got to bed do you. Me no.
    Well when you get home from night shift you have to do stay awake and do something "normal" so I did and when to bed at about 1.30/2pm.
    Got up at about 9 had dinner shower and when to work about 10pm.
    After he told me I was able to sleep well and not feel like S***.

10. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    I was working at an abbatoirs, where I did a night shift Thursday night and Sunday night to Monday Morning....The other days, I started at 7 A.M....The Thursday shift started at 4 P.M and went til 12 P.M. The Sunday/Monday shift was the worse as I started at 10 P.M and finished at 7 A.M....Made it extremely difficult when to go to bed after that, because you either slept half day Monday and ran the risk of being as tired as for Tuesday, or stay awake all day Monday and battle to keep alert Tuesday arvo, because you woke up during the night on the Tuesday.

Also doing road service stuffs the sleep patterns.....Getting a call at 2 in the morning to fix a tyre means sometimes I get bugger all sleep because by the time I get home, it's pointless going back to sleep for an hour, just to get up ready for work.....So yep, it stuffs the sleep pattern big time

VS_Pete likes this.
  11. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I can see why places hate doing RAA, RACT etc. Those calls at 2am must give you the shits especially when it's a call for running out of petrol.

VS_Pete likes this.
  12. Batca

Batca Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ssv sportwagon
    Spent a few years on 2 days/ 2 nights / 4 off. Started off ok but as time goes on feel the fatigue creeping up on you. Used to hate the first day off going to bed at 1am as you couldn’t readjust to normal sleep and had just got used to staying up all night after 2 shifts.
    Also feeling like crap staying up all the first night after the Clayton’s day off. Don’t miss it. One bonus to night shift no bosses around..

13. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    Ok, never really done shift work. But I work 8-5 mon-Fri and 9-4 saturdays.
    A few years back I was doing 6day weeks every week. Fatigue was bad!!, often counting down to the next stat holiday.

Have since changed to 5/6/5/6 etc. Much better recovery.

I don't envy shift workers for the hours, but do sometimes envy them getting work done at night and getting to enjoy some nice days when I am stuck at work (especially in winter with less light in the day)

14. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    One of the older guys was going home after nightshift on the Story Bridge Brisbane went to sleep for a short time no smash but put the shits up him.
    The wife and the kids where up the coast.
    7 day night shift end Sunday 7am.
    Up the highway I go see exit sign 1k drove right pass it 5mins later doing uturn.

15. MasterOfReality

MasterOfReality Miners go deeper

Members Ride:
    2011 Mazda3 MPS, 2006 Suzuki GV, 1991 VP Calais
    When I was working underground I was doing a rotating day, afternoon and night shift. Loved it. Had to keep busy on night shift otherwise it was real easy to fall asleep. Driving haul trucks was the worst as they only crept along at 8km/hr going up the decline. I remember throwing cold water over my head to keep awake.

VS_Pete likes this.
  16. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    Shift work from early 80s till 2006 ,
    Since then 4 x 9.5 hr days Monday to Thursday, ( have spent some of that time in the last couple years on arvos , 2pm till midnight).
    I resisted at first, not keen after so many years on shift but enjoyed it in the end , but was just doing big blocks of arvos , so not swapping and changing so not so bad.
    hopefully next will be retirement .