Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shift Work

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I can see why places hate doing RAA, RACT etc. Those calls at 2am must give you the shits especially when it's a call for running out of petrol.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Spent a few years on 2 days/ 2 nights / 4 off. Started off ok but as time goes on feel the fatigue creeping up on you. Used to hate the first day off going to bed at 1am as you couldn’t readjust to normal sleep and had just got used to staying up all night after 2 shifts.
Also feeling like crap staying up all the first night after the Clayton’s day off. Don’t miss it. One bonus to night shift no bosses around..

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Ok, never really done shift work. But I work 8-5 mon-Fri and 9-4 saturdays.
A few years back I was doing 6day weeks every week. Fatigue was bad!!, often counting down to the next stat holiday.

Have since changed to 5/6/5/6 etc. Much better recovery.

I don't envy shift workers for the hours, but do sometimes envy them getting work done at night and getting to enjoy some nice days when I am stuck at work (especially in winter with less light in the day)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
One of the older guys was going home after nightshift on the Story Bridge Brisbane went to sleep for a short time no smash but put the shits up him.
The wife and the kids where up the coast.
7 day night shift end Sunday 7am.
Up the highway I go see exit sign 1k drove right pass it 5mins later doing uturn.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
When I was working underground I was doing a rotating day, afternoon and night shift. Loved it. Had to keep busy on night shift otherwise it was real easy to fall asleep. Driving haul trucks was the worst as they only crept along at 8km/hr going up the decline. I remember throwing cold water over my head to keep awake.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Shift work from early 80s till 2006 ,
Since then 4 x 9.5 hr days Monday to Thursday, ( have spent some of that time in the last couple years on arvos , 2pm till midnight).
I resisted at first, not keen after so many years on shift but enjoyed it in the end , but was just doing big blocks of arvos , so not swapping and changing so not so bad.
hopefully next will be retirement .