Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shifter Rattle

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Hi guys,

It's no secret that I've been having my share of gearbox/driveline issues. Obviously these are slowly being dealt with which is time consuming and frustrating due to procedure and red tape. However, since the new gearbox went in, I've noticed a loud, metallic rattling sound which seems to almost be coming from directly under the stick when you change gears at high revs...ie when the clutch is depressed. This also happen if the car is revved in neutral. I've been told that this is something that happens with all manual boxes in the VEs and nothing can be done.

I'm just wondering if this is really as common as it has been made out to be. Even this replacement box has a number of issues (including exceptionally loud gear chatter) which are yet to be assessed along with the diff and clutch but I haven't heard of this rattling sound being commonplace. It sounds more than just the equivalent of an annoying dash rattle. It isn't something I noticed in the old box, which was replaced due to faults.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Can't beleive your having more issues mate! Sounds as bad as my last car, whenever something was fixed there was always something else.

I don't have the metallic rattling noise in mine. I can only hope I don't get it either. Good luck.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I don't have any rattles or weird noises coming from my M6. I have 15000k's on the clock.

I hope you get it sorted mate.

Thanks mate. It's a minor thing in a fairly long list of issues. I was just curious about the 'it happens to all of them' comment I was given. Can't see that being the case since the T56 has been around a long time.

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
:bang:Bummer !! Must have ran over half of china. I have a VT 1 that had the diff replaced early and then ran to 300,000 ks with just service items till the daughter ran it out of water. Also have a VS just touching 300,000 k's and running sweetly (touch wood) without problem from new with just service items and not a murmur from the VE .............yet! Of course all 3 have had an easy life just doing highway with very little city driving. Maybe thats the secret!

Hope it gets sorted out.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I don't know. The gearbox was replaced about five and a half weeks ago and that rattle has been there since then. The replacement gearbox, if anything, is worse than the original. Had the clutch replaced at the same time. They can't do anymore work on the driveline, including the diff (which clunks around on and off throttle - and was quite loose when I borrowed a hoist to check it out) until it's approved by the warranty people. I just want to get it fixed! The warranty bloke is due out in early September (no date confirmed - apparently phones are too difficult). Now I've been called up for jury duty and I can just see this extending matters further. Would be just my luck! Hopefully this round of work will be the last of it... But I won't hold my breath.

samdssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
'08 VE SS-V Manual
mate this is no good, i have 65k on the clock and no clutch or serious g/box issues yet except 2nd a bit tight no rattles as you explained... hope holden get their act together and fix it

6LWAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SPORTWAGON
Hey bud,I've had my SSV wagon for bout 3 months now and from new it's had a clunck when you change gears and took it back to the dealer today and he pretty much said this is normal for a V8.Sounds to me like backlash in the drive line.They also said that all manual V8's do this but I'm not convinced.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
mate this is no good, i have 65k on the clock and no clutch or serious g/box issues yet except 2nd a bit tight no rattles as you explained... hope holden get their act together and fix it

Thanks for the feedback, mate. Really appreciate it. Good to know they can be trouble free. Mine's only don't 35,000. 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd are actually the best actions in mine. More often than not, it will grind its way into third from any gear, regardless of speed (which to me sounds like poor clutch action - also been replaced once), the shift from neutral into first is abnormally loud and it's pot luck of it will even let me select reverse. On top of that, there is what can only be described as a chirping noise (high-pitched - like there's a cicada in the cabin with me) from the box as the revs build under load above 2700 (bearing? Again?). The amount of gear chatter it has in neutral is crazy! It's not like I expect an industry leading gearbox... One tht did what it was meant to do would suffice.