Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shifter Rattle

samdssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
'08 VE SS-V Manual
Thanks for the feedback, mate. Really appreciate it. Good to know they can be trouble free. Mine's only don't 35,000. 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd are actually the best actions in mine. More often than not, it will grind its way into third from any gear, regardless of speed (which to me sounds like poor clutch action - also been replaced once), the shift from neutral into first is abnormally loud and it's pot luck of it will even let me select reverse. On top of that, there is what can only be described as a chirping noise (high-pitched - like there's a cicada in the cabin with me) from the box as the revs build under load above 2700 (bearing? Again?). The amount of gear chatter it has in neutral is crazy! It's not like I expect an industry leading gearbox... One tht did what it was meant to do would suffice.

Hey mate, so whats the latest with these gearbox/clutch issues?? I do not come on these forums that often and presume you have been on the ls1/ls2 sites? Surely they couldnt get a brand new box and clutch to come out like that from new ??(do you think these problems come from incorrect installation??)

Once again all the best with it and getting Holdent to support you (you would think they would want to know whats wrong as much as you)

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Hey mate, so whats the latest with these gearbox/clutch issues?? I do not come on these forums that often and presume you have been on the ls1/ls2 sites? Surely they couldnt get a brand new box and clutch to come out like that from new ??(do you think these problems come from incorrect installation??)

Once again all the best with it and getting Holdent to support you (you would think they would want to know whats wrong as much as you)

I honestly think they're as frustrated with the ute as I am. It was their decision to call the warranty assessor, so I can only assume they agree with the issues. The only real news I have is that the date for the assessment has been confirmed for Friday... But that now depends on if I can get out of stupid jury duty! It's all about timing with me!

As for the faulty fitment, I can only speculate. I did borrow a hoist to see if it looked like they actually did the work (I assumed the worst when the same faults showed up) but all seemed above board (but without the original part numbers I can't really be sure. But I'm trusting them at the moment. I'm hoping the replacement box didn't get fitted to a staffer car and I wound up with theirs! Fingers crossed now for a short trial! At least after it's assessed I'll know what action is to be taken. I'm under no delusions though, that it will be a quick fix. Incidentally, the drivers door speaker blew out (and I don't listen to music loud at all) which was the cause of the door rattle. Tick one box off the list then!

marcus1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
sounds like it needs a clutch adjustment if your having probs shifting into gear, just out of curiosity what brand and type oild you running in the box and diff? i had similar noises in my supra renowned for clunks and rattle due to tuff design but i changed to full synthetic motul for diff 75/90 ff gear and the 6 speed getrag gear box actually ran tranzmax z atf fluid after that noises went away could it be the fluids they use not being the best quality available? just a though maybe something to look into.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Thanks for the feedback, Marcus. I was thinking along the same lines with the clutch. Doesn't explain the gearbox whine or excessive chatter though. Just feels like something isn't lining up right.

I've honestly got no idea what gear oil is in it at the moment. Dealer serviced it last time and I don't think they've touched the diff yet. I'm planning in swinging by marrano's or SAS once everything is sorted and getting all fluids redone with good gear. I know it will make a marked improvement, but changing it before it's assessed will only make the genuine faults more difficult to find.

chevy Lumina driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Chevy Lumina Sv6
i think a similar thing happened to me.. i always had a like a continous rattling noise when it changed gears...but when i used 2 go uphill and rev it up,my gears refused to change and the rattling noise would not stop until i let go of the throttle....when i used to rev it on neutral the rattling noise was still there...was too depressing...in the end i took it to my friends garage n he checked it out fr me...the next day i get the news that my exhaust was dirty and had a small hole in it also...the **** was mostly caused cuz of the dirt...so i got it cleaned up n serviced n its a beastt :) hope this helped in any way.. and hope urs gets fixed :/ no worries mate :)
mines a chevy lumina v6 btw.
cheers

MattyIsing

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 ve ssv ute
Hey mate, what was the outcome of this? have just started having the exact same issue in mySSV.
Metallic rattling noise when changing gears at high rpm, or when its in neutral and I give it a decent rev. ( which was only to see if the noise was there)