Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shock absorber question

Wickham_1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Senator Signature
Hey guys,

I have 3 out of 4 MRC shocks leaking and am upgrading in a sense. I'm going for a set of ultima ultima gt gas struts all round and I'm wondering if I need to get springs to suit or can I use the original ones that are off the MRC?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200409-160201.png
    Screenshot_20200409-160201.png
    314.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Screenshot_20200409-160154.png
    Screenshot_20200409-160154.png
    305.7 KB · Views: 113

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Can't help you out with that question, but can tell you for sure that buying those $265 for a full set Ultimas won't be upgrading.

Wickham_1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Senator Signature
Can't help you out with that question, but can tell you for sure that buying those $265 for a full set Ultimas won't be upgrading.
After looking around more I realised that! Other than coilovers what brand gas strut would be best to go for?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I'd look into Kybs, reasonably quality without breaking the budget. Going higher a Koni or Bilstein shock would be great but you'll be up around the 1k mark at least I'd say.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Have you priced replacement MRC's?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
After looking around more I realised that! Other than coilovers what brand gas strut would be best to go for?

Do you have a ballpark budget?

Thing to remember is that this was a $75k car new and that MRC wasn't standard fitment on even Clubsports or other HSVs, so MRC probably would have accounted for maybe a thousand(ish) of that price above standard shocks, particularly with looms and modules. Does that mean you need to spend that amount? No, but whatever you buy to replace it may not replicate MRC suspension, particularly if you're spending $66 per corner in the case of the Ultima shocks (which IMHO I wouldn't even spend that little putting those in a daily beater). Not that MRC is the greatest or anything.

As above, KYBs at a minimum, I think they're a lot better than Monroe and a lot of them came out of Japan, not sure if that's the case anymore. If you decide you want to spend up and go down the coilover route (~2k), you should talk to MCA and Shockworks as they will build coilovers in Australia specific to your use (they can make them comfy if that's what you want) and will probably be far better than MRC, just without the in cabin control.

Answering your original question though, the MRC and non-MRC shocks look almost exactly the same, so It's probably a safe bet. Worst case scenario you put the old shocks back in and get the normal springs later.

Last edited: