Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shock Absorbers

wes_v8

WES_VN
Reaction score
Website
streetrides.20.forumer.com
Members Ride
04 Vz Sv6 6 speed
Hey im wanting to get sum new shock absorbers the back of my car and was wondering on sum good ones? atm im thinkin of the KONI brand maybe the KONI specials or KONI sports? what u's think

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Monroe do some good stuff, cheaper than Koni as well if memory serves. I've got some type of monroe shock in the wags at the moment and they're fine. If you've got the cash though, might as well go for the Koni's, they're supposed to be top ****.

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
Bilstein and koni are the best types of shocks going around unless you are looking for coilover. Bilstein and koni's are rougly priced the same the only different is that bilstein have thicker shafts but not adjustable like koni yellows (sports). The specials are normal shocks which are adjustable but are not set up for sports like the yellow. From my understanding that the maximum on specials are the minimal on yellows.
I have koni yellows (1/4 turn) fitted in the car for over 6months and they are definatly better then Monroe which I found too firm/bouncy (GT gas) and too soft (sensatrac). Koni has a superiour ride then to monroe in my opinion also being adjustable can adjust them making it firm but not bouncy.
Thats my opinion.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
SlowVac said:
Bilstein and koni are the best types of shocks going around unless you are looking for coilover. Bilstein and koni's are rougly priced the same the only different is that bilstein have thicker shafts but not adjustable like koni yellows (sports). The specials are normal shocks which are adjustable but are not set up for sports like the yellow. From my understanding that the maximum on specials are the minimal on yellows.
I have koni yellows (1/4 turn) fitted in the car for over 6months and they are definatly better then Monroe which I found too firm/bouncy (GT gas) and too soft (sensatrac). Koni has a superiour ride then to monroe in my opinion also being adjustable can adjust them making it firm but not bouncy.
Thats my opinion.

It's a matter of personal preference in many ways I reckon. I quite like the firm ride I've got, gives plenty of feedback. But if you're doing a lot of driving on crap/dirt roads then a stiff shock like the GT gas may not be the way to go. Good points there though, adjustable shocks would definitely be cool.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Ive got monroe GT gas and i think there good. but i havnt had koni shocks so i cant compare.

wes_v8

WES_VN
Reaction score
Website
streetrides.20.forumer.com
Members Ride
04 Vz Sv6 6 speed
yea atm i have monroe gt gas shocks but its still a bit bouncy need to make it tighter, so slowvac u rekon the better way to go is the KONI sports(yellow)? and yes i do have the money and want to get the best quality thats why im askin bout it, i thought of the KONI also cause it is adjustable so i can set it 2 what i want 2

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
How much are koni's?? I need new shocks for the front

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
wes_v8 said:
yea atm i have monroe gt gas shocks but its still a bit bouncy need to make it tighter, so slowvac u rekon the better way to go is the KONI sports(yellow)? and yes i do have the money and want to get the best quality thats why im askin bout it, i thought of the KONI also cause it is adjustable so i can set it 2 what i want 2
Yes Koni's yellow are worth its money, Koni yellow are fully adjustable while the specials have limited adjustments but does not have the sports valving and damper oil.
I've got them because they are rebuildable (about 90 for regasing or 240 for revalving and major repairs) and the ride can be adjusted to suit the road and the drive style to a point.
Blsteins are quite good also if you don't want to have adjustable. Those shocks are bit more firmer then koni but I haven't had personal experience with them.
The reason I got them because I was able to get a good price to them ($800 a set bilstein are also the same), being adjustable and got annoyed with the monroe's ride (sensatac and GT gas).
Cheers