Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shock Experience

Sheppbloke

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Hi All, well I started out almost 18 months ago wanting to lower my VF 2 Redline and finally got there today. I thought I would share my journey as it was plagued with doing plenty of research only to end in frustration one way or another either because, I found out the product I thought would be ok wasn't after doing my homework, the product was good-great but the price was astronomical, there was little or no interest in helping me out by either the workshop or supplier or both or, it was really difficult to find feedback on what I was considering.
So I finally opted for a set of coilovers from "Shockworks" located in Monbulk Victoria. Ironically I found most of the info on these guys on a Ford Forum. Brett, Chris and Tim are a family business, Brett (Dad) has a long pedigree in the motor industry as a chassis tuner having worked for Ford, HSV and many other manufacturers. Chris (Son) has personally tuned their offering for the VF and is still evolving it. He actually fitted his most up to date version today after asking if I'd mind taking a punt on it.
I couldn't be more happy with the advice, quality, service, price and result that was achieved today. It's hard to believe it's the same car. Although sitting 35mm lower than standard, the ride is outstanding and it handles like it's on rails despite still being on the softest of 12 settings.
Chris took me on the test drive after fitting to demonstrate the now improved performance. It took several corners thinking I was heading for the grave yard to finally realise just how much more mechanical grip it had.
Anyway, for anyone considering doing a suspension upgrade, do yourself a favor and check out Shockworks. For a fraction over the price of a decent set of springs and shocks, you can't go wrong.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
GM Motorsports has bee recommending Shockworks for quite awhile.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Hi All, well I started out almost 18 months ago wanting to lower my VF 2 Redline and finally got there today. I thought I would share my journey as it was plagued with doing plenty of research only to end in frustration one way or another either because, I found out the product I thought would be ok wasn't after doing my homework, the product was good-great but the price was astronomical, there was little or no interest in helping me out by either the workshop or supplier or both or, it was really difficult to find feedback on what I was considering.
So I finally opted for a set of coilovers from "Shockworks" located in Monbulk Victoria. Ironically I found most of the info on these guys on a Ford Forum. Brett, Chris and Tim are a family business, Brett (Dad) has a long pedigree in the motor industry as a chassis tuner having worked for Ford, HSV and many other manufacturers. Chris (Son) has personally tuned their offering for the VF and is still evolving it. He actually fitted his most up to date version today after asking if I'd mind taking a punt on it.
I couldn't be more happy with the advice, quality, service, price and result that was achieved today. It's hard to believe it's the same car. Although sitting 35mm lower than standard, the ride is outstanding and it handles like it's on rails despite still being on the softest of 12 settings.
Chris took me on the test drive after fitting to demonstrate the now improved performance. It took several corners thinking I was heading for the grave yard to finally realise just how much more mechanical grip it had.
Anyway, for anyone considering doing a suspension upgrade, do yourself a favor and check out Shockworks. For a fraction over the price of a decent set of springs and shocks, you can't go wrong.
Who was the astronomical price?

GM Motorsports has bee recommending Shockworks for quite awhile.
Off topic but have you had any experience with GM motorsports?

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan

Any additional noises since installation? I had them fitted to my Subaru Liberty and the noise/harshness of the front coilovers especially gave me the shits. On the Subaru setup shockworks didn't use rubber on the upper mount so I could hear metal to metal contact.

Ride & handling was amazing though.

I would buy them again if they have addressed the noise/harshness.

Do you have any pics you can upload ?

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
So I finally opted for a set of coilovers from "Shockworks" located in Monbulk Victoria.
yep i dont think id go outside of shockworks or mca.
but the more i read the more im leaning to shockworks in my redline.
Brett (Dad) has a long pedigree in the motor industry as a chassis tuner having worked for Ford, HSV and many other manufacturers.
this is probably one of the reasons id lean more towards shockworks.
the mca Time Attack 86 isnt quite the barge that our vfs are
Chris (Son) has personally tuned their offering for the VF and is still evolving it.
i know they did quite a big r&d session with the harrop car late last year/earlier this year.
good to see its still being tweaked

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Flicked another email to supashock to follow up if they have VF packages. Apparently just opened a new office today very close by, might swing past this arvo.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I would buy them again if they have addressed the noise/harshness.

Try going for softer spring rates next time, or atleast see if they can do it in conjunction with changing the damper valving.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Flicked another email to supashock to follow up if they have VF packages. Apparently just opened a new office today very close by, might swing past this arvo.

They should have them, all the W1 sedans and the 4 W1 Maloos had them fitted.
Prolly a bit exxy though...:D