Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shock thread broken

ossbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
So done myself a mischief today, tightened the shocky bolt too tight n snapped the stud.
At the moment I’m thinking my only option is find another unit and cut off the stud to weld onto mine?

36019951-72F6-422A-BE46-F35F562648DB.jpeg

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Pedders used to sell repair kits

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Weld another stud on it...smooth shank part takes all the weight of shock bouncing on it.

Thread stud is there to stop it from popping off which is unlikely if shock bush is tight fit,nut becomes backup safety item.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Could always cut the mount off, drill it out and put a hi tensile bolt through with crush sleeve.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Could always cut the mount off, drill it out and put a hi tensile bolt through with crush sleeve.
I think that would be problematic as you wouldn’t have any rigidity to stop it flexing up and down. You might get away with drilling the centre of the existing pin half way through (keep half undrilled to keep some rigidity) and tap it to M8 or M10 thread and put a suitable bolt and washer on using locktite to keep it from coming undone.

This shouldn’t be a major problem as the damper isn’t a critical part for vehicle operation (handling is a different story) so if it was to let go it wouldn‘t be a major issue.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If you've got a welder you can try welding a washer to it and then a bolt to the washer, just let it cool off in between and before you start wrenching on it.

Have had friends also have success drilling a small hole in the middle of the broken stud and hammering an allen key in when exhaust studs have done this.

Would also look at using a helicoil before trying to tap it to a bigger size or cutting/welding, doesn't look like there's a heap of meat there and the helicoil kits come with very specific drill bits and taps to take out only the amount needed to fit the helicoil. You can get sizing and pitch from the bolt on the other side.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
We went through a post same as this a while back and the opinions were plenty.
If it were mine I would cut the left over stud flush with the raised section where the shockie sits then weld a thread same size in place
Job done
And don't over tighten the fooker again
If you don't know what to do or don't have the equipment let me know and I will happily do it for you at Alex Headland.

And FFS disconnect the battery before welding.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think we’ve captured the best repair option within this thread but the below thread has a few pages of opinions and quite a few pages of bitchslapping :oops:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/broken-rear-shock-mount-bolt.281204/

I use the following google search to find the above thread:
site: forums.justcommodores.com.au rear shock stud snapped repair​

Common repair method seemed to be the good ole high tensile nut and bolt and was what that op used...