Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shocks for improved ride in SV6

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That's what i've heard.

But are the ones Monroe sell to the public the same, or do they e.g. sell shocks built to a particular price point to Holden, and sell more expensive, better ones under their own brand?
I doubt Holden would have asked for an inferior version of a Monroe shock since Holden had to provide the warranty. I don't think Monroe are that fantastic to start with. I don't use them in my cars. I use KYB or Sachs/BOGE instead and have always been happy with them. But the general rule is don't get the cheapest model of any brand, you need a sports gas shock for a decent ride.

SilverVKberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
I have a SV6 sedan with stock FE2 suspension and about 65000 km.

In general I like the FE2, but I find it a little harsh over small bumps and poor sections of road. I am wondering whether replacing the shocks would improve it.

There seem to be a few options I could look at:
  • Monroe OESpectrum. I understand Monroe make the original shocks. These seem to be the only ones Monroe list for the SV6 - are they the same as original, or better?
  • Koni Special Active (FSD). They sound good, but they don't seem to offer a specific FE2 version like e.g. Monroe do. As far as I can tell they have the same part number for all the SV6 sedans. I wonder how well the damping is matched to the FE2 springs?
  • Factory original? Maybe after 65000k the shocks have worn enough that they are rebounding too fast from small bumps giving a poor ride? However even when the car was new it was in the back of my mind to look for something better when it came time for replacement.
I don't want to lower the car or go more sporty than the FE2 - I want to keep it as close to stock as possible.

Can anyone make any recommendations or offer any experience? I don't want to replace the shocks and find it makes no difference at all.

Thanks for any suggestions.
If your enjoying your VF try the evoke, I just got a 2015 one and it's ride quality/ body control is superb. I have driven a VF SV6 and I am surprised just how close the smaller engine evoke feels to the SV6 but I wouldn't want the evoke to ride any firmer than it does I think they have the balance of ride and body control just right.
It really sounds like your tastes have changed and value comfort over sportiness.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Everyone's entitled to their own tastes but give me the thrill of the feel over comfort any day.

And Holden has done a fair job with the FE2 & FE3 suspension packages they are a good balance of compromise.

If you want to soften the FE2 look into the parts that make up the FE1 and FE1.5 packages for the Evoke & Calais

andrewr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
If your enjoying your VF try the evoke, I just got a 2015 one and it's ride quality/ body control is superb.
It really sounds like your tastes have changed and value comfort over sportiness.

There's some truth to this. When I bought the car I was seriously considering a Calais for exactly that reason, and tracked down one for a test drive. The loop included a section of freeway which had a big dip in it and the Calias felt like it did this big bounce and float which I didn't like at all. In the end I also liked the overall looks of the SV6 better, so bought that with the idea that if I felt strongly enough I could change the suspension later.

Changing the suspension still seems easier than changing the car.

Holden has done a fair job with the FE2 & FE3 suspension packages they are a good balance of compromise.
If you want to soften the FE2 look into the parts that make up the FE1 and FE1.5 packages for the Evoke & Calais

I agree in general. I find the FE2 is very good at 100km/h on Australian roads. Between 60-80 on poor roads it's not so good. I suspect grip would actually be better in this situation with softer suspension.

FE1.5 actually sounds ideal but I don't know whether components are available for the VF? I did consider it, but I don't know what other complications that sort of change would introduce, e.g. mismatched sway bars etc.

I'd rather keep the car close to stock, and make changes that make at least some objective sense. Koni FSD might be the best option.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
There's some truth to this. When I bought the car I was seriously considering a Calais for exactly that reason, and tracked down one for a test drive. The loop included a section of freeway which had a big dip in it and the Calias felt like it did this big bounce and float which I didn't like at all. In the end I also liked the overall looks of the SV6 better, so bought that with the idea that if I felt strongly enough I could change the suspension later.

I agree in general. I find the FE2 is very good at 100km/h on Australian roads. Between 60-80 on poor roads it's not so good. I suspect grip would actually be better in this situation with softer suspension.

FE1.5 actually sounds ideal but I don't know whether components are available for the VF? I did consider it, but I don't know what other complications that sort of change would introduce, e.g. mismatched sway bars etc.

I'd rather keep the car close to stock, and make changes that make at least some objective sense. Koni FSD might be the best option.

The VF Calais has the FE1.5 suspension and it's underpinnings are the same as all the other variants so any changes to shocks or sway bars will just be a bolt on.

You can't have you cake and eat it too.

If you want it stock as possible while changing the ride characteristics then using OEM Holden parts is the way to go.

Koni has a good rep but it may be a trail and error to start with and you could end up spending good money to find they ain't what you're after.

Go to a good suspension shop and tell them what you're after and see if they can offer you what you want.

While you're there ask them to guarantee if you're not happy with the outcome that it can be changed back at a minimal cost and see what they have to say.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
I put Koni Yellows in my low mileage VE SS with stock springs and the ride was nicer. I think less compression damping and maybe a little more rebound. Not sure it actually went around corners any faster, but had sla nicer ride. So suspect FSDs would be similar. Cheaper I think, not rebuildable, but having to remove the shocks and send them off for rebuilding sounds like a pain anyway.

SilverVKberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke

I was driving my evoke today with this post in mind and I thought to myself if the evoke was any firmer it would ruin the cars beautiful balance. I think there is a perception out there that the evoke isn't very sporting in its handling or the way it drives because it's the base model but I can tell everyone it's the most BMW like base model commodore I have ever driven it has wonderful handling and brilliant body control with a firm yet graceful ride. Our other car is a f30 320d

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I was driving my evoke today with this post in mind and I thought to myself if the evoke was any firmer it would ruin the cars beautiful balance. I think there is a perception out there that the evoke isn't very sporting in its handling or the way it drives because it's the base model but I can tell everyone it's the most BMW like base model commodore I have ever driven it has wonderful handling and brilliant body control with a firm yet graceful ride. Our other car is a f30 320d

It's good to hear you are so happy with your car but wow you must have an exceptional Evoke as none of my Commodores in stock form come anywhere near as well balanced as my BMW.

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Im looking at replacing my shocks too, just spoken with Fullcrum suspension in Pakenham and they recommend putting in formula shocks in my vf ute. They were saying the Bilstein and Koni are inserts only and are more expansive around the cost of Coilovers themselves, including fitting. Koni only make front insert shocks too.
Anyone had any experience in Formula shocks? cost around $1100 inc install for all 4. Id hope they would be a massive improvement on current stock shocks.

SilverVKberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
It's good to hear you are so happy with your car but wow you must have an exceptional Evoke as none of my Commodores in stock form come anywhere near as well balanced as my BMW.

Not sure I'm dealing with the smartest bunch of specimens here, people see one or two words and come to their own conclusions . I said most BMW LIKE does that mean it's as good as our beamer ?of coarse not! Just saying it's closer than previous models Holden were trying to bench mark.
Please don't take that last bit as ' a guy at Holden called Mark was the one who did all the benchmarking against BMW,s '..........