Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shocks/Springs, Trapped Springs, how low?

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Im looking to lower my car, at the rear probably only 1 inch, 1.5 at most before the guard starts chewing the rear tyres and the front maybe 2 inches.

Now, I know that uneven suspension is Illegal, but its hardly even to start with... haha.

Now in the VN, because its a seperate spring and shock, the shocks at the rear must be shortened when lowering to keep the rear spring trapped at all times (to comply with the law) but my question is this:

Even if lowering only by 1inch at rear, will i need the shortened shocks?
What chance is there really that the spring will fall out? haha.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah you can get some FE2 rear springs (will stay in with standard shockers), they will drop it about an inch at the back and then you can put some super lows in the front. Should give it a nice agressive stance. I'm not much of a fan of the ultralows in the back superlows in the front theory because car's weren't supposed to sit flat like pancake on the road

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Thanks for the information! :D

Where do i get a pair of these FE2's? and how much should i expect to pay?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Your local Holden might still be able to get you a pair, I got a full set last year. They are about 50 bucks each, bit more if you're unlucky, the prices vary at Holden depending on what price bracket they feel like putting you in on the day. Just go in and say can you do me a pair of rear FE2 springs on a VN for 50 bucks each or so?? :D

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
MotorTraders have them for $49.50 each inc. GST
Might head down there and get a pair.
I can get Kings for cost price, would i be better off with a pair of King Lows for the rear and supers front, or are the FE2s special in some way?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
King lows should be the same as FE2. I still don't know who makes the factory springs but it would be one of the few big companys. But yeah if the Kings are around the same price might as well get them all in the same colour :)

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
haha, otherwise my car will look like a McDonalds playground... red and yellow everywhere

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Factory FE2's are black :)

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
pedders do a sports ryder<(thats how its spelt) that will go in the rear and drop it 30-40 mm and you dont need shortend shocks. they also do front springs that dont need a shorter shock.
im not sure on prices tho

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
yeah, i got the part numbers for the pedders ones... i used to have pedders springs in my nissan...
i had the 2 inch lowered springs, and then had them compressed another 2 inches... What i didnt really think about at the time was that all i really needed was lows and shortened shocks... oh well...
The mudflaps sat on the ground and the muffler would hit any little bump in the road, but it looked good!