Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shoe honing 6.5 litre Chev BB into VN

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Anyone setup VN with Chevy BB, and kept the cubic inch down on lower side
If car was setup with after market EFI wonder how you get on getting, or is even possible to get registered
why ? I suppose if you had the engine already and you didn't want to go LS route

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you're going 6.5l you may aswell just go a LS. BBC is only really necessary if you want to go into the 500ci plus range.

Also BBC 24° heads suck balls BBF FE heads are much better unless you start moving into raised runner 18° and lower with BBC. I think LS are 11° and aftermarket heads can flow as much or more than BBC 24° heads so it's stupid going a fairly stock BBC over LS.

Last edited:

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
yes, we can play with crank stroke to get up to 556ci from 9.8" deck height block with 4.5" bore.
My interest is already have a few bbc so no outlay other than efi unit
the key issue is how to go about getting it legally registered in Victoria
was thinking of bolting in 6 speed behind the bbc

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
yes, we can play with crank stroke to get up to 556ci from 9.8" deck height block with 4.5" bore.
My interest is already have a few bbc so no outlay other than efi unit
the key issue is how to go about getting it legally registered in Victoria
was thinking of bolting in 6 speed behind the bbc

You would be better off selling one of your BB's and buying an LS. A commodore with that much weight over the nose will be a pain to deal with compared to a LS. Think about it you will have to get custom mounts made and engineered when CRS already has engineered LS mounts on the shelf.
You might have a BBC but the conversion costs will sky rocket.
Plus it's likely older than the Commodore so you'll have to get the engineer to smog test it at extra cost. An LS just needs some cats and it auto passes the smog laws as it's from a newer vehicle.
The list goes on.

The main thing will be getting the BB under the 30% limit and the engineer will have to measure the short block you'll likely need custom crank and rods. You'll also have trouble with a smog legal cam and the excessive dwell having such a long rod ratio.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Shane
thanks good input
the starting point is 1996 Gen VI 502 block one piece oil seal with 4.5" bore, my thought was to run 3.1 stroke crank which already have to get 394 ci, with aluminium heads, Hyd roller. GMH 308 holden is approx. 530lb, aluminium head BBC with factory block type iron engine block close to 580lb ...not much difference pending engine mix

the car is 1991
engine block 1996
If you changed the block to aftermarket block, cast latter than 2000..does this impact these smog regulations?
If you are using after market efi Holley, fast, ...others is this permitted under those smog regulations as the efi unit used wouldnt have been supplied originally with this engine in 1996?

is there engineers down in southern districts of Melb, which anyone could recommend whats needed to get the deal certified ?

Yes agreed LS is no brainer, however ...there is always something out there thats a little different

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Shane
thanks good input
the starting point is 1996 Gen VI 502 block one piece oil seal with 4.5" bore, my thought was to run 3.1 stroke crank which already have to get 394 ci, with aluminium heads, Hyd roller. GMH 308 holden is approx. 530lb, aluminium head BBC with factory block type iron engine block close to 580lb ...not much difference pending engine mix

the car is 1991
engine block 1996
If you changed the block to aftermarket block, cast latter than 2000..does this impact these smog regulations?
If you are using after market efi Holley, fast, ...others is this permitted under those smog regulations as the efi unit used wouldnt have been supplied originally with this engine in 1996?

is there engineers down in southern districts of Melb, which anyone could recommend whats needed to get the deal certified ?

Yes agreed LS is no brainer, however ...there is always something out there thats a little different

I think 396ci is over the limit. You would have to speak to the engineer.
If it was a VS 396ci would be doable as they had a 5.7l from factory.

You are really going to need to contact an engineer.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you do it you might need a tame cam which you'll have to replace eventually.
Also if you want some good heads to make real good power look at the MBE 18° heads they're expensive but next best is the Brodix SR20 which are 20° heads. Both those are raised port conventional heads so can take factory intakes so you can run factory style single planes.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
shane, yes have a range of hyd roller/solid rollers cam 0.612" lift, was think of putting on set of mercury 310 cfm marine heads I have here as they are aluminium, as have few iron heads but weight issue
i suppose f wanted to get the ci down then could use the 3.1" stroke crank into 4.280" (454ci block) bore to get 356ci (5.8 litres)

agreed need to talk to engineer, any recommendation down in southern area of melbourne?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
shane, yes have a range of hyd roller/solid rollers cam 0.612" lift, was think of putting on set of mercury 310 cfm marine heads I have here as they are aluminium, as have few iron heads but weight issue
i suppose f wanted to get the ci down then could use the 3.1" stroke crank into 4.280" (454ci block) bore to get 356ci (5.8 litres)

agreed need to talk to engineer, any recommendation down in southern area of melbourne?

Sorry I'm in ACT.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition