Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

short? or somthing ealse. flat battery

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
been havin a prob lately with the vr havnt botherd realy tryin to fix it but here it is.
ive been constantly getin dead batterys lately, the battery is fully charged while cars on but dies once i leave the car off this indicates to me a short, also the negitive terminal sparks when i connect it (dont know if its ment to).
ive dc my sound sys to eliminate that from the prob and it still happens.
btw the battery if fine coz if i leave the negitive terminal off it doesnt go dead. thanx all

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
if your terminal spark is big it means thers something on.if it is only small that will be the comp and is normal. i would start by taking every fuse out except the eng fuse and try starting it. then replace one fuse at a time until the problem happens again.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Well its not going to be a short. You would know if it was - fuses would be blowing or a fire would be starting. Yes it is normal for a battery to spark when you connect the terminals. This is the reason you dont connect jumper leads negative terminal onto the cars battery, but go for the chassis. Anyway your most likely problem is going to be dodgy terminals. If they are the standard battery terminals, pull them off, go to a battery shop and purchase a pair of decent terminals (should only cost about $15). The type to go for are the ones that you tighten a bolt over the battery lead. If you think you can do it, put the terminals on yourself. Make sure its the best damn connection you have ever made. If its even a little bit loose you will start running into problems. If you arent confident with them, go back to the battery place and get them to fit the terminals. Otherwise get your system tested. You can do it yourself if you have a multimeter, or autobarn or somewhere like that might even do it for you if your nice about it. Check the system is charging. Another thing to check for, you can read it for yourself, right at the top of the vr-vs forum posts is a post that says "ALL VR-VS OWNERS READ THIS", something to that tune anyway. It details a problem where the main charging wire becomes loose on the back of the alternator, meaning the battery isnt charging properly. And if the battery is more than 2 years old - get rid of it and get a new one.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
also look at diode in the alternator. if the diode is stuffed, then when voltage is noi longer being pumped into the battery, it's being drained. another one is the voltage regulator. I have no idea what it does, but they do break

yyg998vsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Blue VS ute 5spd
or the starter motor, if youve got extracters put on recently then check if it aint touching or heating up the postive wire to the starter, it happens

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check that the boot light is not staying on and also the glove box light. Do this on a dark night!. Both can drain a battery overnight if the battery is not 100%. Some aftermarket immobilisers can cause a heavy drain. If a radio and amp are wired up incorrectly they can be "always" on.

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
its not the terminals coz there brand new platnem terminals
not the sound system coz i dc that and it still happend
not the lights and aint the alarm/imobiliser coz its just happend
might be starter that would explain why i have probs startin it
and aint the alternator coz thats the first thing i had checked
will try what maginoodle said

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Starter motor would mean that shes hard to start. One day she just wont start at all if it is the starter motor, so get it done sooner rather than later. Now new terminals doesnt mean that they are done properly. If the problem started happening a few days/weeks after you put new terminals on I would be checking them very very closely. Few years ago, before I was into electronics much, I got a set of very nice platnium terminals. They looked great and stopped a bit of corrosion, but it wasnt a great connection on the wire. The hole just wasnt big enough and the wire didnt all fit in. Sure enough I always seemed to have battery problems. Just one thing to double check - very commonly overlooked.

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
ive over checked the turminals a number of times i think it is the starter motor but to come to think of it coz i had probs starting it the starter only went click every time i turned the key but the battery was fully charged then i gave it a few hits and it started i dont know it might be a short in side the starter any one know if this can happen

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe borrow another battery from someone with the same car as your battery may have lost some capacity. Starter motors are one of the most reliable electrical items in your car - when they fail it will be thru worn brushes, dirty commutator or worn bearing causing the armature to 'pole'. Also the solenoid contacts can burn. These problems are generally due to high mileage or abuse such as cranking the engine for more than 5 to 10 seconds which overheats the starter. A battery with reduced capacity will not be able to supply the starter motor with full voltage resulting in the starter labouring to turn the motor and overheating rapidly. Good Luck.