Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shortstuff's VR wagon - in progress!

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Ok, i've owned this wagon for about 18 months, but it's only been on the road about 2 months.

I bought it for $600 from one of my workmates when he got caught unregistered in it. I put it in my girfriend's shed (which went down like a lead balloon!) and slowly got bits and pieces I needed to get it roadworthy and tidy it up.

For roady it needed all rear control arm bushes replacing, rocker cover gaskets replacing, steering wheel re-glued at the top, windscreen, handbrake adjust, exhaust and four tyres.

So it's a VR Lexcen, but I changed the front end to a Commodore one because of the damage to the front bar when I bought the car.

Modifications so far:-
VS front end
VS Berlina grilles
VS Berlina chrome door moulds and bumper strips
2.5" catback single muffler exhaust
Lowered with king springs superlows (sedan springs in rear)
Removed rear wiper
Tint

I've got some International rims to go on soon. Just need to sort tyres!

I've also got a leather centre console from a VS Statesman to go in when I get time. I'm going to be changing a fair bit of the interior over the next few months.

Ideas i've got in mind for it are:-
Statesman chrome inner door handles
VS Calais seats / door trims
Electric windows
Twin 'D' shaped chrome exhaust tip
Velour sun visors
LSD
Rear dust deflector
Foggies (possibly - not sure if I like the look yet!)
Crystal clear headlights / front indicators
Clear tinted tail lights

The transmission started slipping badly, so I replaced it, but I have to put my old valve body in the new trans to get TCC lockup. When I do this in the next few weeks, it will be getting a shift kit and corvette servo.

This is how it looked when I got it. It looked pretty rough, with dints and scrapes all over the front bar. The rear bar and tailgate were smashed too and it only had half an exhaust.

Sorry about the crappy photos - took them with my phone. Any comments or suggestions for the Wagon welcomed!!

13012009539.jpg

This is how it looks now.

Image083.jpg

Image084.jpg

Image087.jpg

Image086.jpg

Image085.jpg

Last edited:

NEDWOB

Reaction score
Website
ozwagons.iforums.us
Members Ride
VN WAGON
looks way better with the commy front. also it may be just the pics but the strips look hologram

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
It's just the dodgy phone pics that make the strips look strange. Yeah I much prefer the Commodore front. I almost went for a Stato front so I didn't have to change the guards, but it was too hard to find a decent one for a reasonable price.

It's pretty straight but nothing special at the moment. Hopefully things will start to change a bit now it's on the road!

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Some slightly clearer pics after a wash today. For some reason the pics make the very slight colour difference between the front end and the rest of the car stand out like dog's b**ls! Really can hardly notice it when you look at the car in natural light.

Image103.jpg

Image101.jpg

Image102.jpg

Image104.jpg

Last edited:

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I managed to do a couple of bits to the wagon yesterday.

Painted the mirrors which came up ok but could do with a final coat of paint.

Image107.jpg

And also fitted a Level 3 cluster. I'm hoping to get the Stato console in this weekend if I have time.

Image106.jpg

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I fitted a H4 HID conversion tonight. It was pretty easy to do (got a kit that just plugs in) but had a few problems along the way. All good now and I have nice bright bluish lights : ) Also got a slimline number plate for the front.

Here's a crappy phone pic!

Image0013.jpg

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Had a bit more progress with my wagon - I fitted a Stato leather centre console and chrome inner door handles which tidy the interior up a bit, and finally put my Internationals on today after having them sitting in my garage for almost 3 years!!

Image0133.jpg

Image0045.jpg

Image0037.jpg