Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

should a do a mechanical apprenticeship?

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Was an apprentice Mechanic as well, 8 - 5 and $271 a week. Back breaking, hot conditions, will burn the **** outta your hands and anything else the coolant and oil get on to. But if you really really want to do it, then by all means go for it, we are just getting you ready for what will be coming.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
i was thinking of being a mechanic, but i though it would ruin cars for me, so im more tiling/ bricklaying. (P.S when your full qualified you can make like 2g a WEEK)

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
bugger cars, no money. mines are where the money is at. 650 to 1500 a day on the rigs. im lucky that the job i have scored after screwing around on a range of equipment best suits me. bit of welding, bit of machining, bit of high pressure testing bit of automotive , bit of hydraulics bits of everything else as a main maintance fitter. i even get cash in hand automotive jobs after shift. since work considers it as making sure the job keeps rolling

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
i was thinking of being a mechanic, but i though it would ruin cars for me, so im more tiling/ bricklaying. (P.S when your full qualified you can make like 2g a WEEK)

2g a week working on cars?
Only if you're using it as a front to sell drugs.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
Was an apprentice Mechanic as well, 8 - 5 and $271 a week. Back breaking, hot conditions, will burn the **** outta your hands and anything else the coolant and oil get on to. But if you really really want to do it, then by all means go for it, we are just getting you ready for what will be coming.

least your getting paid to train. feel sorry for all those uni ####ers that have to work hard without getting paid to do their degrees

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
2g a week working on cars?
Only if you're using it as a front to sell drugs.

not cars, even good mechanics make under 1g. i meant bricklaying and roof tiling..... i should have been more clear .

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, but if Uni students do the right stuff, they're going to tripple what a mechanic can make in the first or second year working. All works out.
Also, its not free to do the apprenticeship, you still have to pay fee's and buy books as well as live of the 35c a week you get.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
Yeah, but if Uni students do the right stuff, they're going to tripple what a mechanic can make in the first or second year working. All works out.
Also, its not free to do the apprenticeship, you still have to pay fee's and buy books as well as live of the 35c a week you get.

there is tax deductions you can do, centerlink hand outs . then there is mature wage . dont make me wack you soop. your making me narky

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
ohh hoooo. Tax deductions. Nothing from nothing is still nothing. Centerlink wont help you if you're working a 40hr week. And I can't comment on mature age. (from what I gather, its bugger all better though)