Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

should a do a mechanical apprenticeship?

dylanstone

tsu tsu tsu tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L 1997 VT executive
hey guys,

might be starting an apprenticeship VERY soon because i love cars etc etc.

wondering if anyone has had any experience doing one or employing an apprentice thats had experience in the game and can give advice or what to do and what not to do.

cheers

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
The way I got my apprenticeship back in the day was writing an application letter and included school/TAFE pre-apprenticeship docos and sent it out to a bunch of Mechanical businesses from yellow pages. Send enough out and someone is bound to reply.

Oh, and drive carefully as an MM apprentice without a license is pretty useless.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Do it in the military. MUCH better pay/conditions.

Davidcoolaye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Yeah I don't want to damp your spirits but, I am a third year at the moment, I love it now, after 3 years... all they do is treat you like pure s*** for the first few years, I also recommend you do it in the military.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
if its what you love then go for it, im an apprentice mechanic i love my job.

what stream of mechanical work are you looking at going into?

brokenikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Maloo: 2008 VE SV6: 2004 VY II R8 Maloo
Do it in the military. MUCH better pay/conditions.

Totally agree. If military service is not an option for whatever reason, I still recommend chasing up this trade, particularly as it directly relates to a field your interested in, think of the long term and just how much job satisfaction your gonna get, you'l love it.

*disclaimer - I am not a professional (by any standards) mechanic, nor have I done an apprenticeship as a mechanic*

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I don't know what things are like these days, but I started my apprenticeship back in 1989 at a Holden dealer.
Money & conditions were **** as mentioned above, even as a tradesman. Once qualified, I branched out to smaller, independant workshops where the money was better and the hours were longer. There was good and bad parts of the job. But after 10 years in the trade, I gave it up & looked for a job with better money & conditions. I still love cars, working as a mechanic didn't kill the passion at all. I'm not as enthusiastic about getting greasy under cars anymore, but hey I'm nearly 40 years old now ;) And if it's my own car, then I'll still drag myself under the car when required.

You are unlikely to ever get rich working for someone else as a car mechanic, but you learn a lot doing it, and learn to appreciate what hard work is. A lot of kids these days won't take a job unless it pays at least 50K a year and they can sit in an airconditioned office. But most of them end up being useless at anything else and have to pay everyone else to fix their car, their mower etc, because they haven't learnt a trade. So a lot of their money wasted on that sort of thing. I reckon it's a good way to start a career, having a trade qualification does open doors to other careers down the track if you want to branch out to something else. If you want a long term career as a mechanic, you've got to work on heavy machinery ie diesel mechanic/fitter. Mate used to work for Caterpillar, and made a fortune, he was on around 100K, nearly 10 years ago, Part of the deal was they paid for all of his tools as well - he walked away with over $20,000 worth of tools.