Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I be concerned?

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey Lads,

Today when I jumped in my 08 Omega I went to start it, the starter motor engaged but the engine did not fire. So I gave it another shot and still it would not fire, the starter motor whined for three or so seconds but nothing after that. So I started checking things, the fuel pump relay was fine the fuel pump fuse and the ECM fuse was also ok. By this time I was scratching my head I tried my other key (thinking it maybe some security fail) this also did not help. I also tried scanning for codes and did not find any. Then I gave it one more shot before calling a mechanic and there was a little life in it, so I gave it another shot and it started but it was idling very inconsistently. After about one minute it had settled down and has been fine since.
Was it simply just flooded or is it something more serious?
Just a little extra info a couple of hours before i had started and driven the car about 20m and then stopped.

Any thought on the matter?

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
The VE's have been known for weird battery issues due to being run the ECU apparently. If it does it again perhaps try another battery or Jumper pack on hand. A Jumper pack with enough charge in it will act like a fully charged battery so give that a shot.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
the electrics of modern cars are mostly a mystery to me.
But what I've been told is that if the battery voltage is a little below normal, the starter won't even try to kick in.
So the fact that your starter is spinning, suggests (to me) that your battery has enough voltage.

Could dirty fuel, causing a temporary and transient obstruction, explain the experience you had ?

As for the rest of your story, I can't offer anything that you haven't already tried, but I am interested to hear how the situation develops.

If it was me, I'd continue until it fails to start altogether, or plays up consistently, before I go to a mechanic.
How many times do you read in this Forum "mechanic said he couldn't find the fault, but gave me a bill for $200 for his investigations ..."

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
I had a very similar issue once in my car. Starter would spin, and holding the key on (not using autocrank) would just keep turning. Fairly new battery (optima) that I double checked, the fuel pump was making noise, eventually could smell fuel, no codes, fuses checked etc etc. Finally did the battery disconnect for 15min, but still wouldn't go at first. But holding the key again, it finally fired but as with yours it was a bit on the rough side. Settled down after a minute or so and drove fine. This was a few months ago, and have had not had a repeat at all, starts perfectly every time now. The only thing I could put it down to was that I filled up at a servo I had never used before, of a brand I hadn't used. So I'm guessing it was dud fuel. (I won't name the brand, as I have zero proof and it's just a gut feeling). But I quickly topped up from one of my usual servos.
However, just last week or so I did start having some rare (what felt like) loss of power for a second. A bit of a jolt. Cleaned the MAF and TB and that now seems to be fixed. It is possible that this could have been a part of the problem too. Might be worth giving those a clean as it is a rather simple thing to do.
Good luck, hope it's just a weird gremlin that has gone away.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Thanks for the input Guys, the battery is only a year or so old. I was thinking the same as Shorty if the starter motor is engaging as it was I don't think it would be a voltage problem. Also I don't think it was a dirty fuel problem either because I had driven about 300km on the current tank (it is about half way full now) without an issue but I suppose it could have been a temporary blockage.
How do I clean the TB and MAF?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You can buy throttle body cleaner from any parts store, the modern equivalent of carby cleaner. Just don't go too crazy with it, it can damage sensors if you're not careful.

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I cleaned my throttle body on the weekend. I found it easiest to remove it from the car. Undo the hose clamp holding the intake pipe onto the throat of the throttle body, disconnect the plug from the side of the throttle body, and remove the 4 x 10mm bolts, then it should come off with a bit of a wriggle. Be careful not to break the gasket. I cleaned mine with throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush, wiped it dry with a rag, then put it all back together.

*I bought the throttle body cleaner from Supercheap Myaree on Friday...don't think they'd be much help now though :(

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Yeah, I just went to Supercheap (or the like) and bought a can of carby cleaner and a can of MAF cleaner. Took MAF out and liberally sprayed it (don't touch the sensor - just spray it) and didn't even remove the TB to clean. Though if I did it again I'd remove the TB to make it easier as Jebadayah said. I did read a warning somewhere not to use a cleaner containing MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) on one of them. Hopefully that was for the MAF, as I've just seen the carby cleaner is MEK. I'll try to find where I read that. Car hasn't played up since, so hopefully its fine.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Oh crap. Might be up for a new TB soon. This is from the workshop manual for the G8:

Caution: Do not subject a throttle body assembly which contains the following components
to an immersion cleaner or a strong solvent:
• Throttle position (TP) sensor
• Idle air control (IAC) valve
• Sealed throttle shaft bearings

The cleaners will damage the electric components or sensors.

The cleaners will damage some of these components that contain seals or O-rings.

Solvents can wash away or break down the grease used on non-serviceable throttle shaft
bearings.

Never use a wire brush or scraper to clean the throttle body. A wire brush or sharp tools may
damage the throttle body components.

Do not use a cleaner that contains methyl ethyl ketone. This extremely strong solvent may
damage components and is not necessary for this type of cleaning.

3. Use a clean shop towel and an approved Top Engine Cleaner. Clean the throttle body bore
and the throttle valve plate.

If necessary, use a parts cleaning brush in order to remove heavy deposits.

4. Install the air cleaner duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Inlet Duct Replacement.