Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should i buy a ve

Jode

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
The VE was designed mid 2000s for the 10 year body shape. If you stick with older models such as VT VX VZ range yoiu effectively driving a car designed 15 years ago. If you like shopping at wrecking yards and driving cars with 300,000 on the clock stick with Pre VE range. The Omega is the base model so expect a taxi.

Crackers01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
It took me time to adjust to the body style of the VE. Compared to previous VZ, VY. I had a VY "S" pac commodore and they looked much more sportier than the current generation VE. It all comes down to costs, the VY was a lot cheaper to have fun with. Unfortunately the Alloytecs I believe don't really live up to the reliability and upgrade-ability of the ecotecs. I've been told a few stories about the hpv6 (High Performance Alloytec in the SV6) giving troubles(not sure about the 180 kW engine in the early omega's). On the other hand it all depends on how they've been serviced. If you've got a bit of extra cash to spend you can get them looking mint. That's my opinion.

burleighboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 A6
I myself have been looking into buying a VE. Only difference being, I'm after the series 2 sv6.

I've read some stories on here regarding the faulty IQ system, and this is the only thing holding me back. Is the IQ system worth the hassles it seems to cause?

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
I'm not bagging P plates or Omegas, but most P platers would be happy with anyting that starts first go and gets them to their girlfriends house and back. Also a case of don't miss what you've never had.QUOTE]

lol your a wanker..

SSV Redline

You Ride I Ride
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SSV Redline Sportwagon
Burleigh,
I have read a lot of those threads about faulty IQ systems and must admit that all the negative feedback was having an effect on us too. But we bit the bullet, bought the car and are happy with our very first ever holden purchase. No IQ problems, excellent after sales service and some good warranty advice from this site. I think a lot of the negative feedback regarding the IQ system stems from poor customer service by holden. They have a microsoft based computer system that has glitches and they dont know how to fix ever problem. We have compueter techs at work that cant fix every computer problem. So you get the stage one techs who say, turn it off and on. Then you get the stage 2 techs who say, replace it. Eventually we will get the stage 3 techs who will upload a service pack that is suppose to fix the issues and finally, you get the stage 4 techs who will recommend an alternate system. If someone, other than me wants to work out how many VE S2 owners their are on this forum and work out how many said owners are having IQ problems then we can work out a percentage. I hope that percentage is low and I am thinking single digit figures. From where I sit, its a great car.

burleighboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 A6
After test driving the 3.6 sv6 on numerous occasions, I can safely say without a shadow of doubt, that I'd recommend it to anyone in the market for a good size sedan.

I did take a series 2 3.0 Berlina for a spin a while back, and was pleasantly surprised at the go it had for just 3 litres. I'd say the Omega has the same qualities, but very "old mother hubbard's cupboard" bare.

burleighboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 A6
SSV Redline, I like your confidence.

It takes very little to twist my arm into buying one, so there you have, you've twisted my arm, so I suppose I'll buy one lol.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
ssv redline
also take into considderation that you are vastly more likely to have people with problems voice them on a public forum

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
I have read a lot of those threads about faulty IQ systems and must admit that all the negative feedback was having an effect on us too.

I have had my Series II for nearly 3 months now and the IQ system has been faultless. Surprises me being a Holden.

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
Hey mate, my girlfriend owns a 2008 Omega and im not the biggest fan.
For the most part, its a good run of the mill family car, and for what it is has a descent amount of grunt and power, descent sound system, relatively large interior, but if i had my choice (which i did when she asked if i wanted it) i would turn it down.
My personal reasons, are that like most people on these forums, i like to modify my cars, and with the Omega i found it very limited to modifications and upgrades, and the ones that i did find seem to not be as effective as they would be on earlier Commodores.
Simple things like air filters, Cool air intakes, extractors, exhausts ect. Plus the feeling of driving it bores the hell out of me, like im borrowing my mothers car, theres no "bad-ass commodore" feel or excitement as there is again in earlier versions of commodores.
At the end of the day as everything it comes down to personal preference, so don't let anyone tell you that its a 'bad' car and not to get it, as they are a great car, but for what i want out of a car, and from what i've heard most people on this forum want out of their cars, it just doesn't measure up. If i had a spare 12 grand, id be looking more towards the VX, VY, VZ commodore's.
I hope this helps mate and that whatever you decide to buy suits you perfectly.

I still strongly stand by this mate.
Don't let people tell you that its a bad car or not to get it, it comes down to what you want.
My girlfriend with her Omega has no interest in doing up her car, and is only interested in something with a bit of size and a slight bit of grunt (coming from Camry's her whole life), so im sure everyone here would agree and understand why she loves her 08 Omega.
Myself on the other hand enjoys having a 'cool' car, if you will.
I enjoy having the ability to modify it and add extra performance, there for despise the Omega's as they are very limited in what they can achieve, being of course a standard run of the mill reliable family run around car.
If this thread was everyones opinion on whether or not you should buy a VE SS, or SV6 then the replies would be a lot different, but your shooting yourself in the foot if you believe that the Omega is a better purchase for you because it is newer than a VX - VZ, if you are thinking of modifying it or (again for lack of a better word) making it a 'cool' car. But if you want something that will get you from A to B that has an ok amount of size and power but is nothing to boast about or show off in any way then go for it.
It pays to do a bit of research on these cars though as i've heard that some of them have become infamous for having a lot of issues that leaves their owners frustrated and considering turning away from Holden, so do a bit of a look around on the year make and model so you know what to expect fault wise before you purchase. As stated by many others, the VE's haven't always been the easiest car to stand by with the things that can go wrong with them.

Last edited: