Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I buy one ?

Fzs1000n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW Bora 4motion 2.8 VR6 24V
Hi all, I'm new here and was hoping to get some great feedback from you fellow car enthusiasts and will appreciate any comments....thanks heaps and it's great to be here....

I'm thinking of buying an RS Liftback in 2-3 months from now. The current ones are $21-23K with 30-50,000kms.
The gf and I have some holiday road trips we want to do and should be able to get a couple of push bikes in the back in one of these. Normally, I would buy a smaller car but this one has the size for our purpose plus great value. Plus enough grunt and nothing wussy.
I'm a lead foot by nature and actually favour a cars handling over straight-line speed. I used to own a big Yamaha so I've already had my speed fix and it's now out of my system, finally !

So my question about the RS is does it show its weight when really pushing it in the twisties or does it maintain composure and feel lighter on it's feet than it's actual weight is ?
Would upgrading the shocks to Bilstein Sport's be a big improvement or are the OEM's up to the job ? (keeping std ride height)

I have great confidence in German designed suspension fwiw

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Buy a Malibu. They’ll be worth more in 5 years.

Fzs1000n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Buy a Malibu. They’ll be worth more in 5 years.
These are an absolutely boring car with mediocre performance. A Camry outclasses and out performs it and they are both boring daily driver types imo

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Please don’t buy a MALIBU.
As suggested ANY Camry is a far better and more reliable purchase.
By all means buy a ZB but just be very sure the history of the services is correct and if you buy it keep up the correct services often.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
All the above points are good, but I'd also add:

1. ZB RS probably works best as a wagon - looks better, more practical, doesn't cost much more. Good points are its fairly cheap for what it is, looks OK, handles well, is fairly quick and comfortable, and more common that the V6 so parts should be easier to get hold of. So for say $25k and about 25 kkms it could be the sweet spot. Not an alternative to an SS or a Stinger but doesn't cost $50k either... And I suspect more fun that a Camry or Mazda SP25 or Elantra Turbo in this price bracket?

2. Main concern is that its a discontinued model and so long term warranty and parts supply is under a bit of a cloud. Anyone with a little more money to spend might consider a near new Camry Hybrid and a small trailer for example. Cost an extra $10 to $15k but would be near new and so last longer and probably use less fuel. Anyone watching their bottom line would do better with a near new Corolla.

3. I'd be aiming for lower K's with a view to moving it on by 100 kkms if you can given not a huge difference in cost. Should be possible to get one with under 20 kkms for under $25k on road.

5. Not NSW I know and not the best colour (silver or grey looks better) but a starting point... If my RSV got written off I'd seriously consider something like this in terms of bang for buck

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...modore-rs-zb-auto-my19/OAG-AD-18712937/?Cr=17

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
These are an absolutely boring car with mediocre performance. A Camry outclasses and out performs it and they are both boring daily driver types imo

The Malibu is one of the finest cars made by GM.

Fzs1000n

Reaction score
Members Ride
All the above points are good, but I'd also add:

1. ZB RS probably works best as a wagon - looks better, more practical, doesn't cost much more. Good points are its fairly cheap for what it is, looks OK, handles well, is fairly quick and comfortable, and more common that the V6 so parts should be easier to get hold of. So for say $25k and about 25 kkms it could be the sweet spot. Not an alternative to an SS or a Stinger but doesn't cost $50k either... And I suspect more fun that a Camry or Mazda SP25 or Elantra Turbo in this price bracket?

2. Main concern is that its a discontinued model and so long term warranty and parts supply is under a bit of a cloud. Anyone with a little more money to spend might consider a near new Camry Hybrid and a small trailer for example. Cost an extra $10 to $15k but would be near new and so last longer and probably use less fuel. Anyone watching their bottom line would do better with a near new Corolla.

3. I'd be aiming for lower K's with a view to moving it on by 100 kkms if you can given not a huge difference in cost. Should be possible to get one with under 20 kkms for under $25k on road.

5. Not NSW I know and not the best colour (silver or grey looks better) but a starting point... If my RSV got written off I'd seriously consider something like this in terms of bang for buck

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...modore-rs-zb-auto-my19/OAG-AD-18712937/?Cr=17

2. "consider a near new Camry Hybrid and a small trailer for example"
Thanks for the input but i have to say that's a wild response. A coupe of pushies would easily fit in a ZB Liftback. Just imagine hooning through country back roads with a "trailer" on the back !!!
The Grey looks great on these and a station wagon is for old folks. Old being in the mind LOL

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
A couple of pushies would be better than a ZB.

Fzs1000n

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can do better than that.

What's with the ZB hating. They check out as a very decent sedan. Not a new model so some of the bugs have probably been sorted out. It's common sense from a large Auto maker.

The times are a moven on sunshine

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Are you a Holden Angel?