Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I buy vp Calais.

ian94mt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina Wagon RB30
Hey been offered a vp Calais auto v6 for 1g. New Zealand dollars. The back windows don't go down needs new taillights a power steering hose and a bolt in the steering rack for wof. Can buy it with wof and reg for 1.2g.
Does this sound like a good deal? I currently have a vl that isn't going but almost is I hope haha. Would this car be more reliable?

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Try and haggle the price down with those faults.
Try and find more and point them out.
Its ultimatly your own choice. Not what a name on a forum says.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
What's the condition of the body? Straight with no rust?
Look in the boot, where the back window meets the rear of the bootlid. If there's rust there its going to be a bastard to remove. New scuttle panel, window out etc. Also check around the front and rear windows for rust.
Most of the work required sounds like replacement parts from a wrecker would do. (rear window motors, tail lights)

The steering rack, though is a variable one the VP Calais and hard to find replacements for. A bolt missing from it? More like the whole thing needs to be replaced.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
It is NZ though and their commo prices are quite high compared to Aus. 1.2k sounds good to me with rego etc. Can't say if it will be more reliable though. All cars have their faults and it depends on how they have been driven, serviced etc etc over the years.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
depends on the availability of the second hand parts from the wreckers. sit down and price out what its all going to cost, what you can do yourself and what youll have to pay to get done...

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
Hey been offered a vp Calais auto v6 for 1g. New Zealand dollars. The back windows don't go down needs new taillights a power steering hose and a bolt in the steering rack for wof. Can buy it with wof and reg for 1.2g.
Does this sound like a good deal? I currently have a vl that isn't going but almost is I hope haha. Would this car be more reliable?

1) Check this link :- VP Calais Check list before buying .. + VP Calais Review - That price is OK, knock them down a further 180 from that offer, need to factor in new regulators/actuators for the rear windows plus after market tail-lights of which you will need to custom paint the pin stripes yourself to match the Calais center tail gate reflector, as they are too rare to find without paying a fortune. New power steering hose (high pressure one will be more $$$ than the low pressure) all up around 180 complete & easy DIY on top to start with the info you have given. 2) To answer your question on reliability, YES they are much better than a VL in terms of reliability - Get to know a VN/VP & it will outlast most other makes when looked after properly. 3) Be prepared to do a basic resto on it due to being 20+ years old, good fun & job satisfaction IMO - will lead to more for sure :cool:

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
oh btw, when i bought my vp calais, one of the back windows was stuck from not being used for a long time. i thought the regulator needed to be replaced. all i did was have someone hold the window switch down while i forced the window down manually with my palms and it came unstuck. greased up the window tracks and havent had a problem since. id give that a try before taking off door trims and drilling out pop rivets.