Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

should i get my VT on gas, or does it just cause problems?

joe seinfeld

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN II Berlina
heard many different and read many different things from heaps of different people and just want a proper answer, it's causing lots of grief.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
What sort of person are you? I wouldn't convert my VT SS to gas. I have recently bought a VS V8 Ute with gas, and I am quite happy with it. Only thing is, you loose power on both gas and petrol as the gas mixer restricts the throttle body and lets less air in.
Apart from that, I don't even know I am driving the ute on gas now. On petrol the ute accelerates a fraction smoother and a fraction better. For everyday driving on gas, no problems.
Only problems I could see in a sedan you will loose a fair whack of your boot space.
Gas conversions have come a long way since the old days. Do you know anyone that has a gas car?

reevsey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
i've heard the v6 ecotec engine runs badly on gas aswell from many people including a gas mechanic

joe seinfeld

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN II Berlina
i know one person who has their VT S on gas and it has to be serviced more often than you'd like. I want to get gas on the eco-tec engine, thats why i want to know

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
All depends on what kind of driver you are. Ive recently put mine on gas which hasn't given me any set-backs at all. If you drive a sh*t load i'd say it pays off to have it on gas and its very rewarding. You will have some restrictions on various performance mods but the fuel money you save can go to the looks :)
Just go for it, i think the government rebate is still available, you'll save lots of $$$

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
For those of you that comment on gas being **** in a commy, have u had one with gas?
If not then you cant really comment can you. . . . .
Our VX has been on LPG 4 the last three years and we've had no problems what so ever.

Joe, if ur car is mechanically good, then I dont see the problems.
Biggest downside is the loss of boot space.
Otherwise I can only see pluses, cheaper running, cleaner engine oil, heavier wallet, better for the environment(if u car about that thing)

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
deserthead, i think it's crap. I have never owned one which got converted. But i have drive quite a few before and after the conversion. It is crap, and you definatly loose power. If your after power, dont do it. People will say you dont, but even vehicles i havn't driven and ive asked people if they saw power increase or stay the same and they say worse. Unless of course the vehicle wasn't maintained properly, in which case the LPG can get you more power, but not compared to a maintained engine.

You'll find many mechanics dont put their vehicles on gas because they know they'll loose power. You must also remember to run petrol through the engine (i suggest once a week or more) just to prevent LPG drying out the engine (you'll understand if you work on vehicles).

I remember one ute i helped a mate out with, was good before the LPG, rebuilt the engine, got a bit of power out of it (even though it was a ford). Then LPG was thrown on it, and the power just dropped. Need i say vehicle was sold shortly after?