Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

should i keep the vn?

C

CHAICE

got a series 1 vn with 270k km's on the clock. engine still runs well but the gear box is strugglin (5speed). thinkin bout gettin the whole lot rebuilt and doin some work to the engine. or maybe just gettin rid of it now and gettin a newer commodore with an eight. can anyone tell me a) whats the reliability likely to be like to get the engine done and makin some more ponies, b) will it even handle it and c) am i an idiot for even thinkin it? oh yeh and if it can be done whats the fuel consumption likely to be like if ya can get em anywhere near what a five litre does? cheers lads

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
I'm in exactly the same situation (S1 5spd with 270,000 on the dial) and I'm saving every penny I can to put towards a rebuild.

There isn't a lot that's going to make me sell the car, the VN as a whole is worth looking after, the VN manual is worth special treatment.

If you're thinking of getting the engine and box rebuilt then there's no reason you can't get a bit of extra power out of it. When it's out for the rebuild, a port/polish, modded cam and a custom tune should see you with a good deal more power. Mate that to a 2.5" full length exhaust (WITH cat), and a CAI to help it breathe a bit better and you should have a bit more power again.

These engines can be built up to about 1000bhp (done in the states), just depends on how much cash you wanna throw at it.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Here's what you should do . . . don't argue, just do it :p

Whatever you do, DON'T sell the VN. They rock. And they're very light.
1. Rebuild your gearbox a little bit tougher.
2. If the V6 ever dies (mine's just about to hit 400,000km and isn't missing a beat . . .) put in a 5L. Simple conversion, I hear.
3. When your diff blows up because you couldn't help but *test* the new 5L, put in an LSD if you didn't have one already.
4. Leave the 5L standard - sort of - usual breathing and exhaust mods.

End situation: nice package to drive, decent fuel economy.
All of that is assuming, of course, that you're looking for a street car and not a drag menace . . . although a 5L VN is nothing to poke fun at . . .

That's pretty much the plan I've got for mine. After the VX Clubsport kit . . . except that I'm going to try to wedge a 6 speed in there :p

Cheers
Sam

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Keep the VN, those engines will last. When the time comes fix it up, beat any Commodore (except VR:)) on the street.

I have a VZ (lease back) and they are crap, they don't GO! hopefully upgrade to VE soon as possible.