Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I rebuild

Stevo-vz_berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz berlina
So I think for now I’ll just change the lifters again, I’m thinking of doing the oil pump to. And what do you fellas think about cam timing? Do you think it could be just out maybe

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Since the heads are coming off it would be worth getting the valves and seats ground and a skim.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I‘m no expert but I thought the crank compression pressures seen during testing depend on the installed cam. That means with a factory cam you can reference the factory pressure specs but you can’t use factory numbers if you have a cam with big overlap as that impacts the pressures seen.

Probably much more important to look at % variation between cylinders and your variation looks rather good @ an odd 6% (max). It’s said if variation is more than 10% things need to be checked more closely.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have a cam and still got about 185 to 190 across the board. I could be wrong but I'd be thinking that valves likely need a grind on the OPs engine.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
dynamic compression only starts when the intake valve is closed, later close is less dynamic compression, static compression is based on full closed stroke of movement

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I have a cam and still got about 185 to 190 across the board. I could be wrong but I'd be thinking that valves likely need a grind on the OPs engine.
valve lapping is pretty easy to do if u can get the valves out, just need to shine a torch in the ports and see if there is any light shining between the valve/port if so give it a lap

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
dynamic compression only starts when the intake valve is closed, later close is less dynamic compression, static compression is based on full closed stroke of movement
Maybe I’m misunderstanding the terminology but I’ve understood with intake or exhaust valves open the compression during a compression test will be zero, even as piston move up. Only when intake and exhaust valves are closed will compression start to build within the cylinder. The point within the cylinder where the piston starts to compress the air is dependant on the valve timing.

During a comp test, I’ve understood that lots of overlap will allow the piston to move further up the piston before both valves close so the volume of air trapped within the cylinder at that point will be less than a standard factory cam without much overlap (which will trap more air volume). So big cam = less air trapped in the cylinder = lower compression.

As such, I’ve understood that compression readings during a compression test may be different for different cams (and everything else being equal).

Is this understanding wrong as I’m not sure who you were replying to.

(I’m not across dynamic compression as I haven’t looked into it in detail, but I’ve understood such needs combustion pressures and a running engine to achieve?

In any case 6% variation is a good outcome.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Maybe I’m misunderstanding the terminology but I’ve understood with intake or exhaust valves open the compression during a compression test will be zero, even as piston move up. Only when intake and exhaust valves are closed will compression start to build within the cylinder. The point within the cylinder where the piston starts to compress the air is dependant on the valve timing.

During a comp test, I’ve understood that lots of overlap will allow the piston to move further up the piston before both valves close so the volume of air trapped within the cylinder at that point will be less than a standard factory cam without much overlap (which will trap more air volume). So big cam = less air trapped in the cylinder = lower compression.

As such, I’ve understood that compression readings during a compression test may be different for different cams (and everything else being equal).

(I’m not across dynamic compression as I haven’t looked into it in detail, but I’ve understood such needs combustion pressures and a running engine to achieve?

yea as long as they are even or close to they are fine as there are alot of variables, sounds like u were one event early before compression the overlap event is on the exhaust close and intake open so dosnt affect the compression stroke ''kinda'' at the slow cranking speeds it may affect the airflow getting in as can allow more some from exhaust and some intake for the short duration, exhaust usually is closed very soon after TDC at start of intake stroke, as the compression cant start until the intake valve is close the piston is already moving up so some of the stroke is lost pushing airflow back out the intake during cranking

dynamic is the compression caused by the valve events, stroke and boost if used http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php

Frank500

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore 5.0

Everything you said is correct with reference to a compression test.

Big cam = less air trapped in the cylinder = lower compression readings in the compression test.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
And one more point. Make sure the trottle is at WOT. No point in doing a comp test if the engine can't draw in any air.
On that, any one know if removing the air filter makes any difference? Is the "factory" number done with the filter in place?