Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I sell my VT or keep and repair

VTS07

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VT S series II
im now in a bit of a dilemma here about my VT whether I should keep it or repair it.

here is a list of things that need doing:

Bonnet respray $700
fuel pump is noisy I would assume its on its way out mechanic quoted $320
Power steering rack and pump not sure how much $$
Full service $200+ not sure when it was serviced last but hasnt been for 6 months since I bought it only done oil and filter.

the car also has about 146,000kms on the clock for a VT Series II 2000 model I think that might be getting a bit too much? im scared other problems will be ahead in the near future. I bought the car from a used car dealer about October last year after getting a personal loan for 10k the car was actually 12k tho. Back then I didnt know much about cars and should of got it properly inspected but now I just wanna get a VT with lower kms, that looks newer more looked after, coz I have no idea when this one was serviced last.

here is a pic of my bonnet im sure you can see why it needs to be resprayed, im afraid this might happen to the rest of the car too
IMG_1350.jpg

advice would be appreciated thanks

cheers.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Keep it man wat uve got there is nothing really if u get rid of it whos 2 say the newer car u get wont have worse off problems then wat u got now? unfortunatly bein a dark car ne marking on the paint shows up alot thats just somthing u have 2 put up with owning a dark car myself. plus if u look after the car well im sure it'll double those kms easy ur cars only just starting 2 live :p

sand_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 SIII Monaro CV8
I just spent $1200 on the front end (steering rack etc) of my 98 VT. It's too good to get rid of yet don't do it! your K's aren't that high they seem about normal to me.

dollerooni

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 308 and VY II 25th Anniversary
You could save money on doing some things yourself such as fuel pump and bonnet re-spray. Do you know enough about cars to do these things? Where you located mate?, i might be able to help ya

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
146.000 ks is not very much really. What's wrong with the steering that it needs a rack and pump? Leaking racks are very common. Is the fuel pump noisy all the time or only when you turn the ignition on?

Dagger

L.W.G
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 + Suzuki DR 600 R/T
I say move on
Overall the VT is a good car but you can do better.I own one but thats just the Atob and when it goes it goes.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
VTS07...Hey bloke,...looks like you've go a pretty nifty painting of gum trees an stuff on yer bonnet!!..lol

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
mate have a look at mine i wonna sell it one sec an the next ill say no coz i wont get bak wot i spent on repairs plus the acco i had to pay outta my own money, in the long run i no ill keep it an fix it all up to good as new. but untill that day ill still say ill sell it but i wont lol. i get the ****s lookn at it all the time. my roof is worse then ur bonnet a painter said it looks like its been done b4 but dodgy so that mademe more sik of it but ill get there.

just dont give up other wise u wil always get the ****s with ur cars n get nowhere fast.

cheers

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Its just stupid people sell cars because of repairs. If you care about you car then fix her up. The problems you described are not extreme and the bonnet respray price is ridiculous unless that includes bumper respray, but should be around $350 to $450 mark, $700 is ripping you off. You could save the respray cost if you prepare the bonnet yourself. Think twice before you sell it, as you might regret it later on when the new car you bought after has more problems!!!!

Indy_387

Reaction score
Hey mate,

If you are going to sell it, I would at least upgrade to a VY/VZ.

But really, 146000 isn't that much, mine is on almost 190000 with no serious problems.

Just my thoughts.