Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I sell my VT or keep and repair

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by VTS07, May 4, 2007.

1. accentstencil

accentstencil Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    WH II Caprice, 5.7 2017 Captiva.
  2. Marks-VY

Marks-VY I love cars

Members Ride:
    VT2 Berlina
    Never sell a car because of the need for minor repairs! I owned a really nice XE Falcon panelvan which was doen up inside and had nice wheels and extras. The power steering pump started leaking and there were two rust holes in the door jam about the size of a 5 cent piece and I sold it for way too little money. It was only later that I realised what a mistake I made.

If you plan on keeping the car, put the money into fixing it properly and consider it investment into insurance against future problems. You may not have known about the problems when you bought it so you will lose a lot if you sell it as-is, unless you can cover it up for the next buyer (but leave that to used car dealers - you don't make friends doing that!!).

3. Low_VX_Taxi

Low_VX_Taxi Blanned

Members Ride:
    Blundstone boots
    The way I look at it your crossing things off a list e.g with my Vr:
    Faulty wiring blown ecu damaged exhaust damaged gbox (due to damaged ecu) damaged suspension (had the springs slashed and damaged the towers) leak in valley gasket (?) Leak at rear main seal (like every other buick engine :p ) damaged bonnet (paint). After repairing and replacing all these components ive now got a gr8 car that runs smoother (better handling idle etc) than my newer lower kms Vx.......

(btw ive only spent bout 2tho atm because i hunted round to a few different places and got fairly low prices)

Dont sell it as murphys law is ul buy sumfin with even MORE probs lol!

4. Low_VX_Taxi

Low_VX_Taxi Blanned

Members Ride:
    Blundstone boots
    Yes. Im still looking for the guy who fked up my Vr.... Barsted removed the engine light so i didnt know bout the blown wiring and ECU :bang:

5. VTS07

VTS07 New Member

Members Ride:
    Black VT S series II
    but 146,000kms seems alot for a VT 2000 model tho??
    I just dont want other things to go wrong down the track already the fuel pump needs to be replaced so the previous owners may have not looked after the car, what causes noisy fuel pumps anyway?

6. evil_monkey

evil_monkey New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden
    keep/repair,what you'll end up replacing it with might be worse than what you already have, services are a thing thats meant to be done periodically every 3 months or every 5000 kms whichever comes first with any car so that shouldent be an issue and things like the fuel pump/powersteering rack are comman and minor, also things go wrong with cars not much can be done about that, if the rest of the paint is good on the car get the bonnet resprayed and have it detailed properly a good wax/polish once a year and wash the car every 2 - 3 weeks should protect the rest of the paint

7. batemada

batemada Member

Wellington, New Zealand (Yes i know yet another KI
    Members Ride:
    2009 Gold Calais V Sportwagon
    The Ecotec motor int he VT's is the same on that is used in the VS ans was still used in the VX and in the VY. It is a very reliable motor and i have seen some VT and VX taxis with 250000+ kms on the clock and still going strong.

I have just upgraded from a s1 VT wagon to a S2 VY sedan, when i sold the wagon it had just over 125000kms. The main reason i upgraded was because i got a call from the dealership i bought the car from asking if i wanted to sell it due to them having a buyer who wanted a good well looked after wagon and they knew mine was. They gave me more than what it was worth and knocked $10000 off the sticker price of a late 04 commodore exec sedan that only had 53000kms.

It is up to you if you want to change or not if you had a S1 VT i would have said change it but becuse it is a S2 VT keep it being as they did fix alot of problems that were found in the S1 model like them being soooo heavy.

8. accentstencil

accentstencil Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    WH II Caprice, 5.7 2017 Captiva.
    Fuel pumps do a lot of work and just wear out over time and it has little to do with the way you look after your car. I wouldn't expect a fuel pump to last too much longer than 146.000ks.

9. 9C1pack

9C1pack Member

Why don't you go and get a price on trading your Vt to a Vy that will have the fewer Km's you desire. (VT's are 10 to 7 years old most have done Km's similar to yours).
    The car dealers will offer you between 2500 to 7000 for your 97 to 2000 VT V6 Auto (check redbook) on a VY2 that they will want about $18000 to $20000 for.
    A fuel pump fitted would cost around the $400 mark, bonnet paint about $700 to $1000.
    You have already said that you are capable of changing the oil and filter, search these forums and you will find how-to's to change the fuel filter, coolant (as I did).
    What do you want to spend $1400 or $14000.
    In future before you buy a car, always get it checked out by a mechanic you trust, or a motoring organization and you will not have the doubts that you now have after handing over your money.

10. Indy_387

Indy_387 New Member

Things will go wrong down the track with any VT. Remember they are 7 years old...

And 146000 is not high. Its average.

I have been in a VX taxi with 589000km on the clock & it was still the original engine. It was noisy as... but still going!

11. VTS07

VTS07 New Member

Members Ride:
    Black VT S series II
    geez with that many kms im surprised its still running. i was thinking of selling mine and getting something with around 100,000kms then hopefully I wont have the power steering and fuel pump problems.

12. garywg

garywg New Member

Members Ride:
    VX lumina
    I work on about 30,000 k's per year so what you've got on your car doesn't seem a large ammount - don't forget these motorswill last forever if looked after properly !!!

13. VTS07

VTS07 New Member

Members Ride:
    Black VT S series II
    yeah the thing is has my car not been looked after properly in the past, now it might be too late

14. Indy_387

Indy_387 New Member

Theres nothing saying the next car you buy won't have these problems.

I know of a VZ with 60000km thats transmission blew... it can happen to anyones car.

15. V8_kiwi

V8_kiwi New Member

Members Ride:
    VT SS S2 5.7
    I recommend to keep it. When I had my VTSS I gave it a full Sevice for piece of mind and over the years I had replaced the normal wear and tear items as they arised. As long as the car is looked after it'll be sweet.

16. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    I'm sure he's made the decision after 10 years.

harrop.senator and Dayvo like this.