Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I sell my VT or keep and repair

Indy_387

Reaction score
Mate,

I just reread a few of your posts... some revised comments below:

:: With regards to the bonnet, you could shop around for better prices, you could could do it yourself (its hard but if you are willing to learn it can be done) or you could try and find one of those wonder products at Supercheap or your local auto stores that claim to fix faded paint. There are also products/waxes that will resist fading.

:: With regards to the fuel pump, what makes you say it is on its way out? Mine is quite loud when priming the fuel, and has been since the day I bought the car. You might be freaking about nothing.

:: Again, power steering pump AND rack, why do you say this needs to be replaced? You said it hasn't had a service in a long time? Is it leaking? It could be something simple like the washer or the fluid level.

:: Full service - What exactly needs attention in the service? You may be able to do this yourself for much less:

Generic oil & filter - $35
Clean air filter - $0
Generic spark plugs - $25
Fuel filter - $25

Do you have a Gregories manual? Its the best $40 investment you could make. This will tell you what you need & how to do everything above. I saw in your other post you said that the driver side door handle is loose? Well so is mine, you just have to remember that this car is 7 years old, so it wont be perfect. If you are really picky you could pull the door skin off & inspect... Again this is covered in the Gregories manual.

Hope this helps...

VTS07

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VT S series II
146.000 ks is not very much really. What's wrong with the steering that it needs a rack and pump? Leaking racks are very common. Is the fuel pump noisy all the time or only when you turn the ignition on?

Jax tyres said it was leaking and the hp line, pump and rack may need to be replaced - they quoted $600+

the fuel pump is VERY noisy upon turning the ignition on, I have to let it fully prime before I start her up or sometimes it doesnt start. When the car is in use I can hear the fuel pump in the drivers seat its pretty loud and annoying.

VTS07

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VT S series II
My brother did the fuel pump on his VP but he didnt have to tank the tank off I think with the VT the tank has to be disconnected it looks like a pretty hard job and im scared I might stuff the fuel reading thingy up.

VTS07

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VT S series II
Mate,

I just reread a few of your posts... some revised comments below:

:: With regards to the bonnet, you could shop around for better prices, you could could do it yourself (its hard but if you are willing to learn it can be done) or you could try and find one of those wonder products at Supercheap or your local auto stores that claim to fix faded paint. There are also products/waxes that will resist fading.

:: With regards to the fuel pump, what makes you say it is on its way out? Mine is quite loud when priming the fuel, and has been since the day I bought the car. You might be freaking about nothing.

:: Again, power steering pump AND rack, why do you say this needs to be replaced? You said it hasn't had a service in a long time? Is it leaking? It could be something simple like the washer or the fluid level.

:: Full service - What exactly needs attention in the service? You may be able to do this yourself for much less:

Generic oil & filter - $35
Clean air filter - $0
Generic spark plugs - $25
Fuel filter - $25

Do you have a Gregories manual? Its the best $40 investment you could make. This will tell you what you need & how to do everything above. I saw in your other post you said that the driver side door handle is loose? Well so is mine, you just have to remember that this car is 7 years old, so it wont be perfect. If you are really picky you could pull the door skin off & inspect... Again this is covered in the Gregories manual.

Hope this helps...

With the bonnet I spoke to a professional car detailer and was told that no product or machine cutting can fix the problem it needs to be sanded down to bare metal as the paint has crows feet. Im scared this might happen to the rest of the car?
they want to charge me $700 to do the Bonnet and the 2 side panels to blend it in to get a good match as its metallic paint.

The fuel pump is very loud my parents drive a VT wagon and u can barely hear it priming and when its in use its pretty silent. mine is the complete opposite. what causes noisy fuel pumps tho??

with the servicing my cars service history only goes back to like 110,000 so im not sure when it had its last full service. 2 weeks ago I did the oil and filter tho and replaced the oil with Castrol Magnatec. I want to get the car serviced so it gives me peace of mind.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Jax tyres said it was leaking and the hp line, pump and rack may need to be replaced - they quoted $60+

A lot of these place are too quick to get you to replace things unnecessarily. Check around for other opinions. If it is a small leak I would live with it. All the commodores I've had have had a leaking rack. You can replace the seals in the pump for under $20.
Removing the fuel tank is not as difficult as it may seem.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
just think once u fix it up u will know the car inside an out an if something goes wrong u pretty much should be rite. keep it as u will regret it l8tr on

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I say keep it and fix it also.

If you sell it, and buy another car, who's to say it won't have more/worse problems than the one you have? At least this way, you know what problems it has, and what needs to be fixed. And you also have a bit of peace of mind knowing that certain problems have been eliminated. :)

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6
As mentioned in most of the other posts...keep it and just have it fixed. A gregory's is a great investment and there is nothing like fixing and completing little tasks yourself. Once you get a few things done it'll spur you on to get the rest. As for the bonnet, shop around get a few quotes, also think out side the square and ring a few wreckers, look in the trading post ect. You may be surprised and find a second hand one in the same colour, but better condition and cheaper...just a thought

VTS07

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VT S series II
is the gregories manual the same as the haynes one?