Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I? Shoudn't I? (Windows 7 Beta)

Should I Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7

• Yes

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
There's also Virtual PC, which is free (hence the reason I use it instead of VMWare)

cdtoaster

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i'd install it if you were gonna format anyway otherwise it seems like a hassle with all the updates and crap espec if you dont like it/run into problems then you gotta reisntall vista and patch it.......

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
So you're saying I should just install it on my girlfriends computer instead and see if it work and i like it before I install it? :p

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
OK... running Windows 7 now...

First impressions... I like it... only thing I don't like is startbar... its too wide...

Other than that... cool!

Good on them for copying the MAC with the slideshow wallpaper... :p

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Yeah I'm on 7 now. First impressions are good, have been running it stable for about a month now. No issues, a few compatibility things with Logitech software though, Logitech have announced formally that they are deliberately not supporting beta OS's yet though.

I'm dual-booting it with XP, I'm yet to find a reason to boot into XP again.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Ok... issue number one... device manager see's the in built sound card... and yet windows toolbar says it can't find a sound output device... hmmm

And i have a mono logitech steering wheel... hmmm... shall look into this soon with some GRID... once I'm over GTA... :p

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I played around with 7 since before 6591, it's come a long way and definitely a step up from Vista in terms of performance. I have severe issues with networking however and as such refuse to use it again until they fix my problems (non-windows machines connecting to shared resources). I've also been using Windows Server 2008 R2 RC1 (7100).

I have to recommend Server 2008 R2 RC1 if you're a tech savvy person who can find work arounds to some problems (modifying MSN installer, etc.), exactly as free as Windows 7 RC1 only it's server class so rock solid (still presents those networking issues though) though it lacks native bluetooth support.

I couldn't bare going back to Vista (which has it's own set of networking issues) after 7 so I played around with XP SP2 x64 (based on the Server 2003 codebase) which is FAST, it reminded me how slow Vista/7 are in comparison though the lack of a nice interface (even with Royale Noir theme) turned me away.

Now I'm using Ubuntu Linux 9.04 x64 with the KDE environment 4.2.3 installed on top (so it's basically Kubuntu) and I love it so may never go back to Windows (it just works).

All of this experimentation and playing is on my main box

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Ok... thick start bar fixed... audio issue fixed... all my programs seem to work... I can start using them quicker after start up.... I like it!

Thumbs up from me...

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Yeah it's going to be fantastic once the OEM release to the public is out, then other companies will develop support for it and i wont have any more issues :D In a perfect world :p

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
definitely give windows 7 a go, i haven't installed it myself yet but from what others have told me, windows is quicker, a lot easier to use (just like from xp to vista you just have to get used to it, but the 'getting used to it' stage isn't as long as xp to vista) but they are all having problems running dx10 games with aero on, so i don't know what the problem is there but hopefully a patch comes out or something to fix it.