Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

should i use a cap

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
A good amp should have enough capacitors in it to sound fine.

Batteries can discharge with amazing speeds, don't believe me, than lay a big bar across the terminals.

Also most people associate capacitors with subs, well a sub will most likely move at its fastest at about 100hz (depending on LPF) and I'm pretty sure a battery can discharge quickly enough for a mechanical device that wants to move a 100 times a second. Hmm that's saying it wrong. What I'm trying to say is that the power doesn't need to reach the amp in a millionth of a second. Or any quicker than a battery can supply.

Well that's my theory anyway. I'm not saying that there is no place for capacitors, just that its not for the reasons that most people think. One use is to clean up the 'noise' in the power supply.

bencbh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 ute 08 manual
i bought an audio battry from jb hi fi i dont remember what it was called but it has a yellow top on it lol, it works alot better then a capacitor but the battry was about 400 bucks. or u could just relocate your battry to your boot and run 0g wire straight to your amp

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Optima D34 probably.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
capacitors ARE a |BANDAID
a bandaid for the .005 of a second that the voltage drops out when system is overloaded with current draw

most audio enthusiasts wont touch a capacitor unless going very extreme amounts of power usage

but on the other hand a capacitor in a medium system will cost less than a higher output altenator
thats how i look at it but to each his own

all of my cars i just go for clarity rarther than outright sound volume or decibels

my old corrolla (first car damn it) had 12 speakers (medium range) 4 subs ( low range)
and 4 tweeter (high range) then two hockey pucks (for w ank factor lets face it :) )
also needed 5 amplifiers from jaycar at1200watts each
yes this was overdone but i was learning you know!~ would have been fine with three 1500's
to run the above setup i had upgraded altenator raised idle and run two 2 farad capacitors
otherwise my ignition module would cut out under high load

like i said each to his own but MOST audio systems under 4 amps DONT need a capacitor
its when you get above 2000watts of audio drain that you MAY need one depending on the condition of wiring altenator and battery

impulsed_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
ok guys been doing shopping for amp n speakers
mrp m1000 and 4 type r speaks and free instal is quoted at $1000
mrp m1000 and 4 type r speaks and soundstreem 4 farrad cap $1050

i dunno if this is worth it or not cuse i think the retail on the cap is like 300 and for 50 buz to get a cap is really cheap and over the free install i think it may be worth 50 bux because i can instal it my self

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
1000 watts @ 2 ohms good amp ;)
but even with 2 of them you wouldnt need a capacitor go for the 1000
one cause for 50 bucks sounds like they just have capacitors lying around :) maybe for a reason no?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
capacitors ARE a |BANDAID
a bandaid for the .005 of a second that the voltage drops out when system is overloaded with current draw

most audio enthusiasts wont touch a capacitor unless going very extreme amounts of power usage

but on the other hand a capacitor in a medium system will cost less than a higher output altenator
thats how i look at it but to each his own

all of my cars i just go for clarity rarther than outright sound volume or decibels

my old corrolla (first car damn it) had 12 speakers (medium range) 4 subs ( low range)
and 4 tweeter (high range) then two hockey pucks (for w ank factor lets face it :) )
also needed 5 amplifiers from jaycar at1200watts each
yes this was overdone but i was learning you know!~ would have been fine with three 1500's
to run the above setup i had upgraded altenator raised idle and run two 2 farad capacitors
otherwise my ignition module would cut out under high load

like i said each to his own but MOST audio systems under 4 amps DONT need a capacitor
its when you get above 2000watts of audio drain that you MAY need one depending on the condition of wiring altenator and battery

I used to run 4 amps and pulling 2000wrms, and I never needed a capacitor. Only time I have dimming or anything was when I put on a stupid bass track like Chain Hang Low (Don't judge me it was my friends track :) ), and I believe the only reason I even got that was because I hadn't upgraded my Big 3.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol yeah like i said most people dont put their cars electrical sytem under enough load to need a cap

impulsed_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
the 1050 is a package deal they can do for me i said wat if i dont want a cap then they they instal the amp n speakers for me but i enjoyin doing it myself so yh

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
why not if it cost next to nothing just dont fit the capacitor unless you have to is easier to fit everything else then come back and fit cap
but i dont think you will need to :)