Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should it stay or should it go?

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Ok, i'm now getting to the stage where i'm thinking of doing some bigger mods to my VN. Its a relatively clean S1 V6 Berlina with about 240000k on it.

Earlier today I started looking at prices for everything I want to do (I wouldn't do it all at once if I was going to do it) and overall it didn't come to much less than a nice clean VN SS would cost. If I had an SS all i'd be doing to it is a letterbox grille, lowering and a set of 18" alloy wheels I think.

I just wanted some opinions on whether it would be best to stick with what i've got and do everything down to an engine transplant and full respray, or keep the Berlina pretty much as it is for the moment and save for a few months to get a VN SS.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Looking at a full rebuild for the motor with flowed heads, stroked, lightened and balanced,cam, etc. I'd like forced induction too if I stick with the V6 so that would be on the cards, although i'm not decided on which route to go yet.

70mm throttle body
Fully adjustable coilover suspension
Decided on a set of VY Clubsport rims for whichever car
SS Bodykit and full respray in original colour to tidy it up
LSD
Different diff gears - not decided on what to go yet
Manual conversion
Full retrim in black leather inc. door cards
VT brake upgrade
All nolathane bushes

I know it doesn't sound like much, but it all adds up with all the other little cosmetic bits I want to do inside and out on top of that.

I wanted the Berlina to stay as my daily driver but it just doesn't seem to look, go, stop or handle how I want at the moment. I'd also like a sunroof :p and I think i'd be looking at a manual SS if I went that route.

Last edited:

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
It's your choice as to possibly buying someone else's problem or having a fresh car that you know.
Me, I would buy an SS if I had the money, just easy performance plus known reliability if you choose carefully.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Ditch the V6 and try and find a 5 liter manual, or even a auto if you don't mind dulling it down a bit. It will be a good decision

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Yeah, there is always that chance you take when buying a used car! At the moment though, i'm definately leaning towards the SS.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
If i had the money i would buy a SS manual for sure. Love V8s. Cant wait till i get out of school and start saving for a SS.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I would go for an SS, even the late models are going pretty cheap. My friends selling his VY SS Manual for $22,000, only 2 yrs old with 50,000k's.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i'd go the SS route but you will find yourself doing more mods to it also like adjustable suspension, TB, exhaust, bushes on and on and on. if you have been bitten by the modifying bug it will never stop. the SS would definitly do with a brake upgrade and an LSD as well if not fitted with already. a V6 with a blower would be neat also.