Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should my car lay rubber

Status
Not open for further replies.

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
Ok its been a while since I owned a V8 well today after owning my SS for a couple of weeks I thought I'd see if it would light up the rears off the mark..
So I turn the TC off, put the power button on change it to 3rd and stand on it but the car just took off no wheel spin at all.. Did I do something wrong I thought with 245kw I'd be able to get some wheel spin.. Could it be my tyres just have too much grip or could it be the car I know my old VC (last V8 I owned) use to light them up easy as and it had no where the power my SS has.. :bang:

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
try it in 1st mate
i only got a 6, but i get no wheel spin off the line, except in 1st i'l get a litle :)

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
Ok I've found out what the prob is apparently Hlden has anti abuse software installed which stops you doing it, but that will go once I get the edit done..

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
so its basicly traction control always? or a case of retarding timing when u stamp it ?

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
Apparently its officially called torque management, which i think retards the engine to stop you from doing stuff like this..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Get a real tune on the thing and it will be a whole different beast :) it's almost criminal what they did to this engine in the tune

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I have a VY SV8, which is mechanically almost identical. First, get a proper tune with VCM Suite or similar. There's plenty of free power to be had with no mods at all - I got about 25rwhp.
While they're tuning it, get them to change the auto's shift points for snappier changes - the computer has torque reduction factors for smoother gear changes (and probably to make the gearbox last a little longer) and you can remove this so the gears swap much harder. If they do it right, you can just have this with POWER mode and leave ECON exactly the way the factory had it. I reckon this mod was more effective than the extra power in making the car better to drive.
If you want to light up the tyres, you'll need to stall it up against the brakes. Just hold the brake down, and start easing on the accelerator. When the back wheels start spinning, mash the throttle and let the brakes off. Of course, this should be done on a track under controlled conditions.

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
my 6 has no worries getting some wheelspin on takeoff, im guessin because its a ute with no weight over the backwheels. i only ever do it when the pursuits are on it though, otherwise its a waste of nice tyres

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
my 6 has no worries getting some wheelspin on takeoff, im guessin because its a ute with no weight over the backwheels. i only ever do it when the pursuits are on it though, otherwise its a waste of nice tyres

Theres barely any difference in weight between the ute and sedan. The SV8 struggles to lay rubber because of the tune, but down low the 6's are reasonably torquey as well.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
My car HAS been tuned, but still won't light up the tyres from a standing start just by flooring the throttle...you have to stall it up to get it to spin off the line. I should mention that it has the high diff gears too (unlike the SS) so that wouldn't be helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.