Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should my car lay rubber

Status
Not open for further replies.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I talked to a tuner about this....VCM Suite can set the traction control and Power to either setting (on or off) permanently but then the switches don't function at all.

Interesting, but I think I'll leave them both as is thanks.

I have no idea why you'd mess with the Power button though. To my knowledge, the Power button only affects the gearbox behaviour, so the rest of it is entirely at the mercy of your right foot. Leave it in Power and just go easy on the throttle for the first couple minutes.

You're right, it affects the shift points of the auto gearbox. So each gear wants to rev out more with the Power on - which is what I don't like while the engine is still relatively cold. Hence why I switch it off and then back on again - but that's just me... :thumbsup:

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
i agree that the TC button should be reversed especially in the wet, if you start to slide and you need to power out of it suddenly the engine retards and it stuffs you up... in a slide its good to be able to steer with ur right foot :thumbsup:

5Litre

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series III ute 5.0M and VL Berlina Turbo Wagon
Quote:

Lets use the VR range as an example.

A VR sedan weighs 1362kg, a VR ute 1354kg.

The sedan weighs only 8kg more than the ute which is the only difference the rear would have.

One big difference is the Ute is Sprung very firm at the rear, for load carrying. This prevents weight transfer to the rear on take off , resulting in way less traction.
This is why utes are so cool, lay rubber at will, drift every corner.......
tyres are evil and must be punished!

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
:my: and i had ute rear springs in my room the whole time and didnt put them in my vp! :bang:

will have to chuck em in my wagon when i get the engine/trans in there to test that out :thumbsup:

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
305 Nm @3600rpm V6
460 Nm @4400rpm Gen 3

Stock standard torque and more with mods+tune

These figures are way up in the rev range. As stated earlier, low down torque in the V6 is pretty good (IMO). It would be interesting to compare the readings of the engines at 1500rpm. Remember, stomping it off the line has the engine ramping up from idle (less than 1000rpm).

U121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S1
sounds weird when i type it, but i'm waiting to get better tyres before i start turning T/C off. bloody cheap dealership chucked linglongs on it when NRMA said they had to be replaced pre-purchase. one of the hazards of buying inter-state :(

regardless: i'm not too confident the linglongs will stand up to punishment as far as sideways action goes. a review someone dragged off yahoo for me said they suffered badly from the leading edge turning under and scarring under power.

yomikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS, VY S pack ute
My VY SS lights up anytime with the T/C off.
No mods factory standard.

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
Theres barely any difference in weight between the ute and sedan. The SV8 struggles to lay rubber because of the tune, but down low the 6's are reasonably torquey as well.

i think weve all gone over this before, hahah but i still think while the OVERALL weight may be similar, but wouldnt there be less weight over the back wheels on a ute??

just my theory, cos my vy ute used to not have much difficulty lighting up on take off.

on a side note, my new 4L hilux dominates my old ute in terms of power, and its a struggle to not spin the wheels, bad weight distribution for sure

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
used to be able to do awesome front wheel burnouts in an 86 corrolla i owned for about a month, but struggled to light up the rears on my 5.0L stato the acclaim spins easy without t/c on and im yet to test the berlina as i picked it up yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.